Chapter Eight

"Nope. Nu uh. Nada. Me no comprende. No fucking way." I walked briskly down a hallway in my house, Sammie trailing behind.

"But Lelo, you have to give him a chance to explain himself. Both of them" She pleaded an I half expected to turn around and see her on her knees begging.

"What do you mean both of them?" Something finally sparked my interest and I turned around to face my panting, red-faced best friend.

"Did I say both of them? I didn't mean both of them oh ha look at that" she sped-talked as she pointed at an article in the newspaper "the stock for Apple has gone up five points. Let's have a long debate about that I'll start-"

"Spill Sammie" I cut her off.

"Fine. But you know it's only because bros before hoes. So basically asmdsldnnalss" Sammie pushed her mouth into her shoulder so her words were all mumbled. I just gave her a death stare to which she exhaled deeply and looked at the floor.

"Madison thinks he's in love with you" The glass I was holding slipped out of my fingers, the only audible thing in the room being it's shattering as it hit the ground.

"What was that?" The other four girls came running the room to find Sammie picking up tiny glass shards and me staring at nothing, my hand formed as if I was still holding the glass.

"Snap out of it Lelo!" I heard someone scream as I was shaken but I couldn't seem to get out of my daze. All I could picture was that night when I kissed Madison.

Could he really love me? Love is a strong word. Maybe too strong, I mean I have only known him for the summer. It's probably just infatuation.

But what if it is love? That feeling in the pit of my stomach I always seem to get when I think about him, the guilt I feel when I remember I never told him goodbye.

"He broke up with me Lelo!" I was suddenly shocked back to life to see Lucy cowering over me, fresh tears in her eyes.

"Well that got her attention" Ruth scoffed, getting a well deserved slap upside the head by Sammie.

"Nick?" I whispered, trying to find my normal voice again.

"He broke up with me the second you left, saying how he couldn't string me on when his heart belonged to someone else. And Lelo, that someone else is you" she backed away from me and wiped her tears, smiling sadly as if to say 'it's okay, you have my blessing'.

"Now do you believe me that you have to talk to them? Let them explain?" Sammie questioned.

"Yeah, I guess I do"