A Broken Voice [Chapter 4]

[Chapter 4]

Today was my last day in the hospital, and I was due to be discharged in less than a couple of hours. Unfortunately, the time seemed to go by so slowly which got me bored out of my mind. My parents had decided to stay home a little bit in order to finalize things for when I got home, and my friends, well my friends were in school.

Yes, they actually attended one. I on the other hand, was homeschooled since the age of eleven. I had always been used to that system, and enjoyed it a lot more than being in a school for 7 hours a day. Honestly, I preferred having my freedom, and also not being harassed by a ton of press every day of my life. Having them follow me to the store, to my car and to an appointment was more than enough. I really didn't need their distraction when I was in school trying to work and to succeed in my studies.

My parents were supposed to arrive in about an hour. I hadn't been home in about two weeks and missed it like crazy. The IV needle was still poking into my arm which I really wanted to get rid of, and Dr. Cameron had promised me that he would take it out for me as soon as my parents came walking through the door. I tapped my hand against my lap in a pretty tune trying to create a rhythm for myself. I really missed music, and still couldn't believe it was all over for me. Now I was forced to start over with my life. At least I still had my guitar to distract me from the pain I was feeling in the pit of my stomach, and obviously, my IPod!

Where was I going to start with my life? I had asked myself that question a million times. Being completely normal for me wasn't gonna be easy, considering that I had been a famous rock star for almost my entire life. Now, I was forced to start over, go to school, and act like a normal person. My best friends had promised that they would help me, which I really appreciated from their part.

All I knew about what was going to happen next, was that I was going to attend a High School, together with all four of my best friends. They had all transferred there after having finished middle school. It was the High School I should have attended, had it not been for my celebrity status.

I had known them all since the beginning of Primary school, which made them seem like my family. For more than ten years we were amazing friends, supporting each other and then finally starting a band together which succeeded in every way possible.

I was lying on my bed, flipping through all the mental pictures I had taken during all of our amazing experiences together. I was really going to miss it, especially now that I was going to be obliged to act like a normal 17 year old and had to keep the past behind me in order to be able to. Just thinking about it gave me a terrible feeling in the pit of stomach.

Bored out of my mind, I turned towards my night table and got my book out of the drawer. It was a novel that Pheobe had brought me in order to make time go faster. I hadn't started it yet, but apparently 'Dear John' was an amazing book and it would totally make time go much much faster. I quickly sighed and opened up to the very first page.

***

After a couple of hours, I was about half way through the book. I was really enjoying it, but was hoping that somebody would walk through the door in order to save me from reading. I had never really liked reading, but I did it anyway. My eyes were beginning to sting, so I sighed again, looked at the clock on the wall, closed my book and put it back into my night stand.

Finally, the door came swinging open. “NATALIE! Oh yeahh! You are coming home today!” Pheobe said running towards my bedside. I hugged her tightly, and then pulled back to look at her. She looked at me curiously as I stared at her face. “What?” She asked.

“Did you pluck your eyebrows?” I asked. Her eyes widened and she gave out a little shriek that you could only hear with prefect hearing.

“Shit, you noticed…” She walked towards the little mirror.