Chapter 1: The Next Step

"I'm just saying..."

Nora Valkyrie and Lie Ren emerged from behind a tree, walking together.

"There's more members of JNPR in this team than RWBY and SHDW," Nora continued, "It just makes sense to go with that one!"

"But 'juniors' isn't a color," Ren replied, scratching his head.

Nora groaned, "How can I be more clear?!"

Nora put out her hands and the letters JNRRS (Juniors) pop into existence and pointed to the first three.

"One, two, three. That's more than two!" She finished, pointing to one of the R's and the S.

"But we're helping Ruby with her objective," Ren held out his hand and the letters RNJRS (Rangers) popped into existence, and he pointed to the first R, "Wouldn't that make her the leader?"

"Either way," Skyler Yin pointed out, coming up from behind them, "I'm the last letter on both of those names. And I'm not quite sure how to feel about that."

"Guys!"

Ren, Nora, and Skyler turned their heads towards Jaune Arc, who was crouching in front of a rock, the letters popping out of existence.

"We need to focus," Jaune scolded before pausing for a couple of seconds, "...Also, JNRRS is way cooler.

"Exactly!!" Nora exclaimed.

Ren went to speak, but instead just groaned.

"Oh, please," Skyler told Jaune, "You're just saying that because it makes you the leader."

"W-what?!" Jaune sputtered, "N-no!!"

"That is totally the case, because there is no way the name 'Juniors' sounds cooler than 'Rangers'."

Then the conversation was cut short by the sound of rumbling, Jaune then saying, "It's here."

Ruby Rose flew backward above the tree-line, firing Crescent Rose in the direction she came from. The trees were then forcibly shoved out of the way by a collection of floating boulders with a Grimm mask, clearly chasing her. Ruby fell, crashing against tree limbs along the way.

"Bad... landing... strategy!!" Ruby cried, but landed on her feet on a big tree branch strong enough to hold her weight, then using her Semblance to fly past the Grimm.

"Let's get that thing off her," Jaune ordered, him and Skyler running forward while Nora and Ren jumped on a tree branch.

"We need to draw its attention away from Ruby!" Ren exclaimed.

As a stream of rose petals, Ruby flew past them, saying, "Could use some help!"

Nora pulled out Magnhild in its grenade launcher form and shot the Grimm in the back while Ren hopped around on branches towards it. The Grimm tried to hit him, but Ren ran up its rock arm, flew into the air, and came down upon the Grimm, striking at it with StormFlower, but it was ineffective.

"We've have to get in closer!" Skyler said with Kasai out in its gun form.

Ren landed beside him and Jaune, "My blades don't hurt him!"