Chapter 31

Harry's P.O.V.

  And there it was. There it was, the door two feet away, and the metal apartment number hanging off of the middle of the door. Apartment twenty-eight. The tan paint was slightly peeling, and cob-webs sat in-between the crease of the door and the wall.

  I took a deep breath, running my fingers through my messy curls before my knuckles hit the door, causing a small echo in the hallway. My heart was racing, and I could hear the heavy beating of my heart in my ears. Moments passed, with nothing but silence.

  The lock clicked, and the door squeaked as it opened, Denise's petrified face coming into view. She held onto the doorknob tightly, her knuckles turning white. Her black Rolling Stones t-shirt hung loosely on her body, stopping mid-thigh.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She asked, anger present in her voice. "How'd you find me?"

"Denise, I need to speak with you." I took a step near her, leaning against the door frame. She backed away from me, disgust covering her face.

"I don't want to talk to you. Leave." Denise brushed her auburn hair back, grabbing the door and pushing it closed, but before it could close all the way, I wedged my foot into the space, holding the door open.

"I'm serious, Denise." I growled, my fingers grazing against the base of the door. "We need to talk." My voice was filled with venom, and I could hear her unsteady breathing as she processed in her mind what I had just told her. "Just listen to me for five minutes. That's all I'm asking for."

"Five minutes," She spoke. "And then you're gone." The door opened once again, and she looked up at me, her deep brown eyes cold as she watched me. I took a step back, motioning for her to come out here and join me. Her gaze moved to my hand, and she hesitated, moments later moving next to me.

"Denise, I'm so sorry.. I never meant to hurt you. Well, okay, I did, but that was in the beginning. After I actually got to know you.. I fell. Hard. Aiden kept telling me to finish it off for you.. but, I didn't want to end what we had so quickly. After years of hurting you; tormenting you.. I feel terrible. I know that what I feel isn't anything you care about, but if I could change it, I would. You've changed my life, Denise. You've made me feel things I didn't even know I could feel. I thought I was in love with Justyce, but I didn't even know what love was. With you, I knew. There was always something about you.. I just didn't know what it was." I took a breath as I finished off my last words, looking into her eyes, hoping to see one sliver of emotion. Nothing. "Well? Say something."

"What do you expect me to do, Harry? Jump into your arms? Kiss you and tell you it's okay? It's not, Harry. You hurt me, and not just mentally." Denise whispered, crossing her arms over chest. "Why'd you bully me in the first place?" My heart broke at just the sight of her.. Her innocent face.. The way she was hiding her emotions behind her pained eyes..

"Aiden started tormenting you first. He's my older brother, I just wanted to be like him. I wanted us to be equals. I thought it was the right thing to do at the time, follow what he did. To this day, I never knew why he did it, and I'm sorry for everything I've ever done to you. I'm sorry for scarring you. I'm sorry for everything, and it's going to haunt me till the day I die, but I'd rather take that than you not forgiving me. I'd rather me hurt than you." I took a step towards her, our bodies almost touching. She looked up at me, quite uncomfortably. My fingertips brushed against hers, and I grabbed her fingers with mine, entwining them together. Denise looked down at our hands.

"Harry," She whispered, trying to pull away. "No." Denise took a step back, her hands brushing through her hair awkwardly. "I'll forgive you, but there's not going to be an us."

Denise's P.O.V.

  It broke my heart to see the face he gave me as I said those last seven words. Harry's brows drooped, and his eyes became shiny. He bit his lip, nodding and looking away. His cheeks were slightly pink, and he held onto his bottom lip with his tooth, trying to make it unnoticeable that it was quivering.

"I'm sorry." Harry whispered, running his long fingers through his knotted curls. "There's one more thing.."

"What is it?" I asked, slightly annoyed. He made eye-contact with me, his emerald eyes sparkling.

"I love to sing." He spoke, taking a step back.

"Okay?" I said confusedly, wiping my hands off of my t-shirt.

"I wrote a song for you." Harry said. He looked over at the staircase, and he walked towards it, bending down to pick up a guitar case off of one of the stairs. His cross necklace hit his chest as he stood back up. One of Harry's thick curls fell loosely on his forehead, and he moved it away with the back of his hand. "Could I sing it to you?"

"Harry.." Of course I wanted him to sing it to me, but it's too hard for me to let him go now as it is.

"Please." Desperation was clear in his voice as he spoke. He held onto the guitar case tightly as he watched me, hoping I'd say yes. "You don't have to say anything after that.. It just.. I worked really hard on it; it has everything I've wanted to say but nothing I had. Just give me two minutes."

   I stood there, watching him as he waited for my answer.

"Okay." I said.

A/N: Hey, guys! I'm sorry this isn't very long, I've got to get ready to go. I wont be back for a week, going on an airplane to a place that doesn't sound very fun to me..
Wyoming. Anyone live there? Holla c:
Anyway! Comment, I love your guys' comments, I really do! Vote while you're at it!