Chapter Two

Thud.

The ball of dough hits the floor with a soft plop, leaving a surprised-looking man standing in front of me. At least, I think he's surprised since he still hasn't said another word. He's just staring at me with his eyes wide and his mouth slightly agape. Since the dough was still wet enough when I threw it, little pieces are now stuck to almost every inch of his face.

"Oh my gosh." My hands fly up to slap over my mouth while I try really hard to keep a straight face. I still have no clue who this guy is, but man, I can't remember the last time I've seen something this funny, and I practically have first row seats. My attempt at keeping my feelings about this situation to myself remains unsuccessful when I burst into a bout of laughter—fully complemented by the occasional snort.

This might quite possibly be the worst first impression I've ever made on a human being. Maybe I should be worried about that fact, but I just can't bring myself to care. It's been a very long time since I've laughed like this, and it almost feels cathartic.

The guy clears his throat, touching his face with a shake of his head. "Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, at least."

At first, I'm not sure how to take his comment—and for a moment, I'm afraid he's mad—but then I see the corners of his mouth lift into a smirk. All I can do is stare at him, my eyes blinking rapidly, basking in the fact that I'm pretty sure he has dimples.

Freaking dimples. They will be the end of me.

I guessed he'd be good-looking, but this man goes above and beyond that level, making him easily the most handsome man I've ever seen—even with dough plastered all over his face. Before that thought can spin into something bigger, I stop myself. Taking a deep breath, I tell my hormones to stay far away, not that I can blame them for wanting to come out to play.

"I'm so sorry." The mortification is slowly starting to sink in, and I'm ready to hide somewhere to escape this embarrassing situation.

He arches an eyebrow, and a piece of dough that was stuck to it falls to the floor. "Huh. Are you sure? You could have fooled me when you were doubled over with laughter just a moment ago."

Heat immediately shoots into my cheeks in response, and a huge grin spreads across his face. I momentarily forget how to breathe because it's that blinding. I clearly haven't been out in a while, especially not around ridiculously handsome men like him. Now that I think about it, it's actually been years since I felt attracted to someone this quickly, not that it's ever been this strong before. My grandma always used to say there are two kinds of attraction. One is the instant one, that usually happens before you even know the person, and the other is the kind that grows with your feelings as you get to know a person better.

I'm pretty sure we have an instant winner, since I can't seem to think straight and words just start pouring out of my mouth. "Who are you anyway?"

There are a lot of ways he could have reacted to that question. What I don't expect is for him to start laughing so loudly I'm sure they can hear him a few houses down—and the properties in this neighborhood are pretty big. He clutches his stomach as he continues to shake with laughter, and naturally, I can't help myself and track his every movement with my eyes. And for the love of...there are those perfect abs again, practically begging me to devour them with my gaze—at the very least.

"Could you, uh, could you maybe cover yourself up a little bit more? It's a bit inappropriate, if you ask me. Don't you feel uncomfortable like this in front of a stranger?" More random—and albeit pretty inane—words come out of my mouth. I barely refrain from slapping myself on the forehead, trying to pretend like I'm actually in control of my own brain. My eyes stay trained on him, never letting him out of my sight.