Chapter Four

In the last hour, he had called the number Bonnie had gave him eight times. In those eight times, no one answered. It rang twice and went straight to voicemail. The vampire had thought about leaving a message, but then opted out and ended the call. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, glancing around the hotel room. It was the old Andrew Jackson Hotel, in the heart of the French Quarter, steps away from Jackson Square and Bourbon Street, romantic architecture and a lovely view of the French Quarter. His bedroom was situated among a lush, picturesque 18th century Creole courtyard. Stefan's room, on the other hand, featured celebrated wrought-iron balcony overlooking legendary Royal Street.

   It wasn't his idea to stay at such a luxurious hotel, but Bonnie wanted a nice stay in one and he couldn't deny her. So, he got the best room for his best friend and his brother.

   "No luck?" Stefan asked as he walked into the balcony.

   "He doesn't want to be found," Damon said with a sigh. "Obviously, he won't answer a strange phone number."

   "But, his sister is alive," Stefan mumbled, a tone of curiosity in his voice. "Wouldn't he want to know that?"

   "Obviously," Damon said, glancing at his brother. "But, from what Helena said, the Frederick I knew is gone. For all I know, the new Frederick could be some psycho killer that enjoys to siphon power from other withes, just like our old pal Kai, remember?" The sarcasm faded from the vampire's face. "Or, he knows about Freya and doesn't know what to do, just like me."

   "Hey, at least she met you," Stefan said, giving his brother a small smile. "She knows you, again, and maybe that's a good thing."

   Damon shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe," he said, sighing. "Who knows? Maybe I can get Freya to fall in love with me all over again."

   "That's strange," mumbled Stefan, making a face as he crossed his arms. "I've never seen you like this..."

   "Like what?"

   "So positive," the younger vampire said with a small smile. "I've never seen you like this since a long time ago, Damon." He took a step closer to his brother, standing besides him as he looked out to the city. "I always thought you were you because of Katherine, but maybe that was before Freya. After her, you were worse."

   "Thanks," Damon said with sarcasm, rolling his eyes.

   "I don't mean it in a bad way," Stefan said, smiling. "I mean, I never expected to see you so positive again, especially after Elena. Back in Mystic Falls, I thought you and Elena were this love that you only read about in books and see in movies, but I was wrong."

   At the mention of her name, Damon frowned. He loved Elena, always have and probably always will, but he wasn't in love with her, at least not anymore. There was a part of him that would always feel something for the girl, a hint of admiration. But, his heart had always been set on Freya, even before he had met her. She was his epic love, the one girl that made him want to be the very best in the world and actually find a cure for immortality.

   "That love wasn't for you and Elena," Stefan continued. "It was you and Freya."

   "I don't know whether to say thank you or screw you," Damon hummed, glancing at his brother. Even though he was being sarcastic, there was a small smile around his lips.

   "I'll take the thank you," said Stefan with a smile. 

   At that moment, the cell phone in Damon's hand began to ring. He glanced down at it, seeing Frederick's phone number flashing on the screen. With wide eyes, he slid the green icon to the side and pressed the phone to his ear. Before he could get anything out, the caller spoke first: "Who the hell are you and why do you keep calling me?"