Chapter 4

After a momentary whoosh of hot air, kind of like walking past a humungous space heater, the flames cleared and I found myself in another room, smaller and plainer than the one before, with black walls instead of white ones. Rhys appeared next to me a moment later, his expression rigid. There was now sweat on his forehead. 

"You okay?" I asked him. 

"Fine," he replied tightly. 

I didn't believe him. Walking through a wall of fire to enter Hell wasn't exactly a normal, everyday experience for a faery king accustomed to pretty trees and happy unicorns. Not that it was normal for me either. 

"King Rhys, Princess Nikki, on behalf of King Hades I bid you welcome." The thin, reedy female voice seemed familiar, but I didn't know who it was until she emerged from the shadows. "I am Florencia." 

Florencia was part of the demon council. Just like the last time I saw her, she was in human form, with shoulder-length black hair that sported a bold, white streak, even though she didn't look much older than my mother (who swore she wasn't going grey despite monthly visits to the salon). She wore a green skirt and jacket that looked both designer and uncomfortable. 

I already knew she hated me for reasons that had very little to do with me. Apparently she was betrothed, or whatever, to my father before he met my mother. After that, he broke off the engagement and shattered Florencia's small, black heart. 

I'd gotten the very distinct impression that sixteen-plus years hadn't healed that particular injury. 

"It's a pleasure, Florencia," Rhys replied, giving me side-eye when I said absolutely nothing. 

Florencia turned a tight smile toward me. "I will escort you to his majesty now." 

No 'hey how are you doing? How's your father? Did you manage to get over all those murder attempts?' 

I gave her a tight smile back. "Thank you," was all I said. 

We followed her through a large black door, then along a long black hallway. Despite the monochromatic color, our path was well lit -- not with torches, like at my father's castle, but with overhead lighting like in the human world. For all I knew it was actual electrical lighting or some unknown demon invention.  

Rhys fell silent, his back rigid and his fists clenched. 

"You sure you're okay?" I asked again, quietly. 

He just nodded without looking directly at me. "Never better." 

"It's my first time to Hell, too. It's totally understandable if you're nervous." 

He scowled. "I am a king and have every right to be here. I'm not nervous." 

Sure he wasn't. 

We walked for some time, passing both demons -- in full demon form as well as those in human form -- as well as several Shadows. The Shadows wore similar dark clothing to each other, as if it were a uniform, and they each wore a green amulet identical to the one Michael had. They kept their gazes fixed on the floor as we passed, as if afraid to make eye contact with us. 

Florencia noticed when I glanced back over my shoulder at them. 

"Pay no attention to the palace servants," she suggested. 

The urge to say something in reply was uncontrollable. "They're treated well here, I hope?" 

She cocked her head. "What do you mean?"  

"The king treats his servants well?" I enunciated for her. 

"As well as can be expected." Her forehead was creased as if she found the question confusing, but then clarity shone in her dark eyes. "Ah, yes, I remember now. You have a personal Shadow servant of whom you've become. He was officially assigned by your father, which means you'd be able to communicate with him telepathically."