Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"My father?" I ask in disbelief, I had never known my father, he had always been a ghost in my life, there but never heard from or seen. Let alone talked about.

He ran when my mother told him that she was pregnant, leaving her to tell her parents about me and suffer through the rest of high school, alone. So you can imagine how little my mother fawned over him.

I had always felt bad, had that lingering feeling of nausea and guilt settling in my chest, knowing that I was the reason she didn't get to have the fairytale romance she had always wanted.

"You're father is a very important man, Day, and he cares about you very much." Adam says in a monotonous, as if was reciting the speech from memory while looking down at his hands. I snort and shake my head.

"Ha, no if my father actually cared about me he would have come to see me, would not have left my mother to raise me on her own." I say, my voice cracking.

"I would be upset if I was in your position too, but you need to hear me out." Adam starts in a calm voice but I cut him off.

"What do you have to say that I would want to hear?" I hiss as him, angry and confused.

He doesn't say anything for awhile, only sits there with his lips pursed; jaw clenched. In a way the silence is worse than if he would have yelled at the top of his lungs.

"I'm sorry, this isn't your fault." I say, sighing and whipping a hand down my face, trying to cover my burning cheeks.

He blows air out of his cheeks, nodding and leaning his elbows on his knees. "It's okay, you're in pain and upset, I understand." He nods faintly at me and sits back up to face me. "Okay, back to the issue at hand."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"Yes Mom I'm fine, don't worry about me." I lie, my mind still spinning with all that Adam had just told me. Apparently my father is some sort of nonfederal agent, who set up an agency that handles all of the cases that could lead to huge historical finds, lost tombs and such, and when not completely legal art is stolen, they go get it back.

To say the least my 'Father's' job is dangerous, and complicated, which according to Adam is why he never contacted me, but has had someone basically fallowing me since I was thirteen. Not creepy at all dad. So this is how Adam ended up in Paris, he was supposed to take over as my bodyguard but had a couple of more days before he was to report, when the last guy who had been my 'bodyguard' was the guy who almost put a bullet in my head. Very comforting. Apparently Hoodie took off during his 'watch' to steal some very valuable pieces of art and tried to return to his post before anyone found out he was missing, but they had been tracking him and finally found him last night.

"Are you sure sweetie? you sound tired." Mom says, bringing me out of my thoughts. I glace towards the bathroom where I can hear the sink running as Adam washes his hands and bite my lip. What was I supposed to say? That last night a guy my dad, the man who ran away from her all those years ago, hired to keep me safe almost put a bullet in my head? I think not.

"I'm fine mom, really, I just stayed up to late last night that's all." I say, squeezing my eyes shut, hating to lie to her.

"Okay, well everything here is going good, Rebecca's wedding is going as planned but Chris and I fly out tomorrow for him to discuss some things with his investors, but I promise that once that's done we'll be there to spend some good, family bonding time with you sweetheart."

"Okay." I say, suppressing my sigh, great, more time trying to ignore mom and Chris when they 'just feel the need' to make out every few minutes. so disgusting. But don't get me wrong, I want my mom to be happy and I'm happy that's she's found 'The guy', but sometimes I feel like she's more in love with the idea of Chris and her being together than being in love with Him.

"Okay, well I have to go sweetie, stay safe and try to have a good time" She says, and I can hear the urging in her voice. I tended to like staying in doors, and she tended to point out that I needed to get out more.

"Thanks mom." I say as she hangs up; closing my eyes and letting out a small sigh.

I hear a loud knock on the door and walk slowly, apprehensively towards it, who could that be? I open the door to see the man who wouldn't lower his gun last night, holding a duffle bag and a laptop case.

"Hello, um is Adam Cross in?" He asks a bit sheepishly, not meeting my eyes.

"He's in the bathroom." I say, pointing behind me.

"Ah, well Adam called me asking for some of his stuff so..." He purses his lips and drums his fingers over the laptop case strap.

"Well come in." I say, opening the door wider, still trying to get used to his thick Irish accent.

He walks into then room, almost having to duck to go thorough the door frame, and sets the bags down on the couch, his white blond hair falling into his blue eyes. "So did Adam tell you..." he trails off and raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah, he told me everything." I say, walking to the window and examining the grey clouds above, trying to do anything to not have to just stand there and act like the embarrassed idiot that I was.

He moves to stand beside me, putting his hands behind his back in military fashion and squaring his shoulders. "It seems like it might rain." He says, nodding at the grey sky above, examining every detail.

"Yes, it does." I say after a minute of silence.

The bathroom door opens and we both turn to see Adam looking at us with one dark eyebrow raised as he tucks in his black button down, but when his eyes land on his bags he nods to himself in understanding.

"Thank you for bringing my bags Tom, I assume that you brought White in last night?" He asks, unzipping the computer case and examining its contents.

"He is being sent to James Carter as we speak, heaven help him." Tom says, almost looking amused.

What did that mean, was my father going to hurt him? Probably.

"Everything you need is in the laptop, codes for ATMs, files, be sure to read all of them. You will be kept informed but not called upon. Lay low and don't let her out of you're sight." Tom says, and I clench my jaw in agitation.

"She is standing right here." I say, glaring at them both.

"A little viper that one." Adam says, intentionally acting as if I weren't listening.

"Well I better be going, I'm about to leave for another assignment." Tom says, trying to stifle his laugh and heading for the door; escaping my impending wrath.

"Don't get shot like you did last time." Adam calls with a smirk and Tom glares at him before closing the door behind him.

"Such a great guy." I say, rolling my eyes once he's gone.

"He's complicated." Adam says, opening up his laptop case. "So, do you want anything?"

Did I want anything? Yes, I wanted chocolate, lots of chocolate, and to lay on the couch snuggled up in a blanket watching reruns of the Gilmore Girls and time alone to process all of this.

"Breakfast would be nice." I finally admit.

He laughs a little, "Sorry love but you sleep through breakfast, but if you want I'll try to track down something for you."

"Thanks." I say, letting myself smile a bit.

"Not a problem." He says with a nod and opens the door, finding a rather large man with a dagger in hand staring back at him.