Chapter 3

Alana Bowen returns a few days later to inform me that I was staying in Hawaii with the Sharland family. As much as I was happy to be staying in my hometown to stay with people I was still getting to know, the thought of it made me nervous living with strangers.

My friends stop by when I was being discharged to hand over a bag for me with some of my belongings, mostly clothes. Kailani informs me the funeral for my family is in a few days. The thought of attending it scared me, wondering how I will react to my family's deaths to whom I don't remember. And how will I react when I see my relatives there? How do I tell them that I don't remember them? But at least I will have Lex and Kailani so I don't feel too awkward around so many strangers.

They stay with me until the Sharlands finished work. I sit in the back seat of their black SUV, staring out at beaches as we drive along the coastline, trying to place my surroundings in my memory. My own hometown was unfamiliar to me, and I wonder for a moment how I was going to be able to survive here when everything was a blur, and whether or not if Dr Sharland was right that living here will help my memory. I push the negative stuff out of my mind, and think about how my life will be when I move into the Sharlands' home. I think about Tyler, who I have yet to meet, wondering how he will react to my arrival. Aylin and Dr Sharland, who I have to remember to call Nick now that I'm going to live with them, said Gabe was really excited about having me stay with them. Tyler, on the other hand, didn't seem to care as much.

Nick pulls up into the driveway of his house beside the ocean, parking it behind a red pickup truck. It was a one storey house painted yellow. A garden surrounded the house, filled with red, orange and yellow hibiscus, and tall palm trees were at the front of the house.

I sit there in the backseat, twiddling my thumbs, unsure whether or not if I had made the right choice about coming here. I climb out of the car a few minutes after the Sharlands did. Nick opens up the boot and takes out my luggage for me before closing it again. Kailani and Lex promised to visit me soon to give me more of my belongings.

Aylin puts an arm around my shoulders. "Welcome to our home, Ruby."

I grab the whiteboard I was holding and wrote, You have a nice home.

Nick smiles. "Thanks Ruby. I'm glad you like it. You're going to enjoy it here, especially with the beach behind us."

We head inside. As soon as we enter, we find Gabe and Kaleen on the couch dressed in their swim suits, kissing. They quickly jump a part when they realised we had just walked in.

"Mom, Dad, hi," he quickly says, his face turning red from embarrassment. Kaleen's face does the same.

I wanted to laugh at the embarrassing looks they were giving us from walking in on them, but I decided not to when I see the serious looks both Aylin and Nick were giving Gabe. I don't know what I would do if I had my parents walked in on my boyfriend and me.

"Gabe." Aylin shoots him a warning look.

Gabe stands up from the couch. "Sorry." He turns to me and smiles. "Hey Ruby, it's good to see you again. Welcome to our home."

I smile, writing on my board. Thanks again for inviting me into your home.

Nick puts a hand on my shoulder. "You don't have to keep thanking us, Ruby."

"Where's Tyler?" Aylin asks her son.

"He is out with Shannah," Gabe answers.

"Okay, well I'm going to get dinner ready. Are you staying for dinner, Kaleen?"