Chapter 14: Alive

Chapter 14: Alive

We got nothing to lose, shake off the weight of the world from your shoulders…’ – Alive, One Direction

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We followed the police officers back to the place where Oliver had taken Kathy.

“Right, you can go home now, we’ll handle everything from here,” one of the officers said.

“Yes sir.”

They only just disappeared from sight when someone else stepped out from the shadows.

“You really have the guts to be here?”

“I’ve really got nothing to lose anymore. You’ve already sued me and so I just want to get revenge before I get thrown into jail,” Oliver sneered, uncovering a knife.

Zayn and I automatically went to stand in front of Kathy. Connor stood a step towards him.

“Oliver, put the knife down and no one has to get hurt,” he said calmly.

“I knew you would back out sooner or later. All you ever was a big wuss.”

“Guys,” Kathy’s voice came from behind Zayn and me. “I’m going to distract him, then go at him from behind and get the knife out of his hand,” she said quietly.

“No way! Are you crazy?” I whispered back.

“You’ll get yourself killed, this guy is mental!” Zayn whispered.

“Then I guess we’ll be able to see how effective my classes at uni have been.”

“Kathy no!”

“Relax! If I distract him for long enough, the police will be back.”

We tried to stop her, but it was already too late, she’d already stepped away from us.

“Oliver, look, you were an alright guy, but…“

“I can’t believe she’s doing this,” Zayn whispered. “She’s moving further away and putting herself in danger so we won’t  get hurt.”

“…but it must be because of all these events that have been happening that have made you act this way-“

“You know what? I don’t think it’s that. Maybe it’s just because of you, you and your existence. You’re the one who made me like this, and I can’t say I care too much for that either…”

Zayn and I leapt forwards towards him, but his reflexes were too quick and he dodged us. He leapt forwards and grabbed Kathy from behind, putting the blade on her neck.

“Step closer and the blade might just slip,” he said with malice. “And don’t even think of calling for help either.”

Zayn and I glanced at each other from the corner of our eyes.

“Put it down Oliver,” I stepped closer.

“Don’t come closer! You know the consequences.”

I stopped when a small trickle of blood starting dribbling down Kathy’s neck. She didn’t seem to care there was a knife digging into her skin, she gave a half-hearted laugh.

“You won’t get away with this. Your heart is just pounding furiously isn’t it? You’re scared aren’t you? You know that if you kill me you’ll be locked up for the rest of your life.”

“I think it’ll be worth it,” Oliver whispered, his tone made even my skin crawl.

Great, another mental patient on the loose. First Amanda and now this. It was awful not being able to do anything. Oliver obviously had the edge and I was directly in his sight, so I couldn’t move. I glanced around at Zayn and Connor. Zayn looked like I did, he wanted to move but couldn't let Kathy get hurt. Connor surprised me though; being out of direct sight of Oliver, he'd already managed to shuffle quietly behind Oliver and Kathy.