deux

ii.

"The view's even better if you look up."

His eyes didn't linger a second longer after that. Instead, he reeled himself out of his stupor then cleared his throat and his gaze traded-off from the bare chest of a woman to her immaculate bone structure and eyes whom were undoubtedly built of dreams.

He was fairly certain her raven hair had found half out of its braid. The blush in her cheeks and the way her lips curved leisurely when she spoke, told him that she spent the night. If her bareness and knickers didn't make for telltale signs.

"Are you looking for Vince?" she asked.

Caleb nodded. "Is he around?"

Though he kept his eyes ahead—making a point to focus on the slope down her nose and the curve of her Cupid's bow—even Caleb couldn't ward off the blush darkening his cheeks and it creeping up his neck, emitting from his mild discomfort. It wasn't because the woman was nude, in fact that was the least of his concerns, but rather that this was what Vincent had been preoccupied with instead of getting back to him last night.

It was like dawning the thought that your grandparents had sex, or violently flashing back to all the times you walked in on your parents doing the dirty deed.

"Maybe." she remarked, with coy. Caleb noted that she had yet to cover her chest since she'd pried open the door. Instead, a lock of her hair came loose and with her free hand,  she took it between her thumb and forefinger and twirled while drinking him in with her eyes. "Depends who's—"

"Elle?" A voice from inside called.

Caleb watched the woman (presumably Elle) swallow before averting her eyes back to a point beside her. Then quicker than thought, Vince materialised by her, edging himself in the small space of the doorframe.

His light hair fluttered wildly and he ran a hand through it before a heartbeat of a smile broadened his mouth at the sight of his dear friend. "Caleb," he greeted, though lethargically. It was evident that he'd just rolled out of bed not too long ago. 

"I called," Caleb stated softly.

"You did." he answered with the same level of wry.

"And you didn't get back to me."

Half out of his wits, Vince let out a laugh that died as soon as it left his mouth. "So...you're pissed?" he asked, haltingly, "that I didn't call you?"

"That you didn't call me back, jackass."

An uneasy quiet blanketed the pair. Caleb glanced at Elle, who cocked her brow a hair's inch over its brow line, holding his gaze. It's a moment later, after his arms plaited over the planes of his chest that she nodded as though she'd understood something they'd communicated telepathically, then retreated back inside.

Vince side-stepped her as she maneuvered behind him before he leaned his shoulder against the ridge of wood, levelling a mirthful grin that snaked up to his gaze.

"Don't smile at me, you cheeky bastard." Caleb let out an intermittent sigh, "and who the hell is Elle?"

"A good lay and a great listening ear."