Home By Christmas

HOME BY CHRISTMAS

The first time Eloise Priestley met Roy Miles was at a rather dull Christmas party. Eloise, originating from a rather 'highly-respected' class in society, had been to so many parties it was almost as if they were a tedious task she simply must endure for the sake of her parents' wishes.

Eloise was only a lithe girl of fourteen when she met Roy. With a shock of red hair and an unfortunate set of large teeth, Eloise wouldn't come across as very well-off to you at first. She was quite ugly at fourteen, poor girl. But there was a certain grace about her, a look of simplicity and kindness in her that assured people she must be of some class to have such impeccably lovely manners. No common girl could talk like she did! No common girl could dance like she did!

And even though she was not aware of it, Eloise had the attention of every boy in the room that night. 

Including Roy Miles.  

Roy was certainly the opposite of Eloise. Born to a mere farmer, Roy wasn't expected to be at such a flamboyant, luxurious party such as this. But as luck would've had it, Roy's friend Gideon was the very son of the party hostess, and he had graciously invited his poor young friend to the high-profile event. Roy was also fourteen years old, but had the looks of a Prince, famer's son or not and he was certainly the envy of all the other young men inside the room.

 Roy watched Eloise as she radiantly swept across the ballroom in her pretty pink frock, which complimented her pale skin quite well. He watched in amazement as she danced with Gideon, who looked pink and flushed to be in the presence of such a sought-after young lady. 

Roy's heart gave a little flutter as he heard the laugh of that young lady – Eloise he had heard his friend Gideon call her. Eloise. It was too much a dramatic name for such a simple, plain girl.

  But her eyes told a different story. The way they sparkled, the way they danced in merriment. Yes, maybe Eloise was the perfect name for her. Roy would certainly name her eyes Eloise, which didn't quite make sense to him. All his life, Roy had lived a life so dull he swore he would've killed himself if he didn't have his poor old mother to support. Being a farmer boy had such tediousness to it.

Roy wanted to be a part of this. He wanted to be a part of the rich folk. To laugh and sip on expensive champagne (when he was old enough, that is) without a care in the world. And how little effort there was to survive, when you were rich! 

After Gideon was finished dancing with Eloise, he skipped (yes, the boy skipped) to Roy with a look of pure admiration in his eyes.

"Do you fancy Eloise?" Roy asked—rather demanded of Gideon. Gideon gave a small half-shrug, the sort that boys do when they do not really want to answer a question.

"She is very good at dancing that's all," Gideon said, looking at his feet. Roy half-smirked at Gideon knowingly.

 "Then you wouldn't mind if I asked her to dance, would you?" Roy said slyly. Gideon looked like he minded very much, but didn't argue over it. In fact, he puffed out his chest in a way that would most certainly earn him a pat in the back from his father, and said in a very dignified sort of way that he wouldn't mind at all and Roy was free to dance away with Eloise to his heart's content. 

"But I don't think she really takes shine to boys like you," Gideon was cruel enough to add.

 Roy decided that after this party, he'd stop talking to Gideon all together. 

For now, all he wanted to do was speak to this mysterious Eloise. 

Roy gathered the courage to walk across the ballroom and quietly ask Eloise to dance with him. He was stricken at first, when she did not answer, for he was afraid she might rebuff him. Roy was known by many rich folk, and he thought he might've seen Eloise once or twice, but he couldn't quite recall. Would she reject his offer simply because of his status?