Chapter 4- Two Discoveries

Daisy:

I could see Lily thrashing about in her sleep that night. She would call out Grace's name, then mine. She was having nightmares, moans came every few minutes followed by her tossing and turning. 

I couldn't sleep either, I knew now that Lily had other friends, friends who weren't me. She wouldn't want to be friends with me anymore; at least that was what I thought then. 

In the morning we were all given our timetables by the principal, a tall, sour- looking woman with shoulder length grey hair. The timetables were printed on a flimsy, white card that most people managed to break two seconds after getting it. Next we went into one of the schools many classrooms to get our books. The pile was massive and it took me three attempts to get all the books to our classroom which seemed like a mile away. Several people dropped books on the way. I wanted to help them but I knew if I did mine would fall too so I kept walking. 

The first class on Monday morning was double P.E followed by a break. The teacher was a man this time tall, thin and with extremely large muscles that he liked to flex to show us just how strong he was. He told us that we would be starting with the easiest sport, tennis, my favourite and best sport and about the only one I could play without falling over. I was rather clumsy, in my younger years, I could fall over while walking in a straight line! 

I couldn't wait! Well that was until we were given our teams. I was paired with Yang Chan Cho, a small Chinese girl who also happened to be the smartest girl in the year. She was quiet and didn't speak much but she was quick on her feet and smiled at me every time we scored. Maybe we were going to become friends, hopefully! 

Then there were our opponents one of whom was Lily, perfect this was going to be fun. Instead of pairing Lily up with some other nice person or even a semi- tolerable, he decided on Grace. She laughed as she walked over towards us.

 "This is going to be easy," she muttered under her breath, just loud enough for me to hear. It sent anger raging through every muscle of my body maybe that's what she wanted, to get at me, to get inside my head, to raise me.

 Five matches later, all of which had been won by Yang and me, Grace became really frustrated; she did not like losing to anyone, but especially not to me.

 On her serve she aimed her shot straight at me and hit it as hard as she could. She sent it flying over the wall and through a large pine tree. A minute later it had landed somewhere on the other side.

 "You idiot," she said talking to Lily. "It's all your fault, you made me miss, you little...." I can't repeat this word as it isn't fit for human ears! "Go get it already. Come on, aren't you good for anything." Lily looked taken aback. She stared straight at her, the hatred building in her eyes. In a way I was glad because this was the first time I realised that she no longer liked Grace.

 "Why don't you get it," she shouted back, a few neighbouring heads looked over in our direction. "You hit it over there." The teacher had realised that there was an argument in progress and began to make his way slowly over, hoping that he wouldn't have deal with it.

 "Why you little brat. I don't even know why I bother being friends with you...," she began but she was interrupted by Lily.

 "I don't know why you are, if you find out, please do tell me because I certainly am not friends and never will be friends with you anymore. You're a horrible person and I hate you. I'll get the ball all right, if only to show you how different we are," she yelled. I didn't think Lily would be capable of saying such horrible things but then again Grace did deserve them. I hated her, I still do, I hate her with every single fibre of my being for the way she treated Lily, for the way she treated the other girls and the way she treated me. It was as if we were all dirt to her, people who were not worthy enough, in her opinion, to even be in her presence.