I've Got You Covered (Book 1 of the Blazing Charm series) Chp 1-3

Chapter One

The steps up to the red brick building seemed like they would never end. The students stared at the new girl moving up each one slowly. It was mid-week and in March. Starting a new school at the end of the semester was never easy. Her black boots clicked almost silently on the tile floor as she headed toward the office. Faded blue jeans and a soft green tank top covered her slim, lithe body, and locksof long brown hair flowed down her back.

The office door slowly opened and closed behind the new student. Moments later the figure stepped back out into the hall.

“Thank you, Ms. Cloud,” the receptionist called out from inside the office.

The girl looked down at the class schedule and map she’d just been given to find the room she was currently supposed to be in, Room 385 - English. With a heavy sigh and a quick glance around, she began her journey down the hall. She was aware of the other students around her, the guys’ eyes following her body while the girls gave snobby snorts. She sighed again; she wasn’t here to make friends. She was here to escape the past.

After following the map and going down a few random halls, she luckily ended up in front of the door she needed. She walked into the class and handed the new student paper work to the teacher.

“Welcome, Ms. Cloud,” the teacher said as she handed Anistasia a slightly used and abused English book. With a polite smile Anistasia turned to the rows of seats. Her eyes scanned the classroom, quickly finding an empty seat toward the back. She passed the other students without even a glance before dropping down into the desk she had chosen for herself. She really was starting to have a dislike of this whole school thing. She wondered if it was possible to homeschool yourself or if you had to have someone school you.

Meanwhile, across town John went about his usual routine for getting ready for school. After fixing his somewhat unruly black hair and donning worn jeans and a gray tee, he was ready to go. Arriving at school a few minutes later, he parked his tricked out corvette in the usual spot and ran to his English 385 class. Life was fun for Mr. Kusagari - well, not so much fun, but that’s just school. So it seemed to all the teachers and the police, but that’s another story all in its own.

The teacher got up as the bell rang and started class with a quick review of the previous night’s homework. John, of course, didn’t have said homework. Never did, and never would. He yawned as the teacher went about his work, not paying attention to the lecture, as always. Anistasia wasn’t really paying attention herself. She let out a soft sigh as she gazed out the window at the sky and the lunch yard grass.

The teacher cleared his throat. “Ms. Cloud would you like to rejoin the class and pay attention to today’s lesson?”

She looked at him, simply shaking her head. “Not really.” John couldn’t help letting out a chuckle at the new girl’s response. He half turned in his seat to see that she was sitting behind him.

“Pretty bold thing to do on the first day, don’t you think?” he asked the girl.

Anistasia looked at John and shrugged. “To be honest, I could really care less.” She leaned back in her chair and looked at the book on her desk.

“Ms. Cloud, I don’t know what the last school you attended was like, but an attitude like that will get you detention and possible suspension at this one.” The teacher spoke with controlled rage, forcing himself not to yell.

Anistasia just rolled her eyes. “Can we get back to class? All this attention is making my ears burn.” She spoke without even looking up from the English text book. John chuckled once more before turning forward again. He would have to get to know this girl at some point today.