new blood-chapter eight-Protection

new blood

chapter eight:Protection

Nick, Lucy and Alex emerged from the storage room.

"She's you sister" said Alex who had asked the question 5 times over in the time it took them to leave the storage room but she got the same shocking reply.

"For the last time yes". Explained nick.

"How do you know?"

"Does it matter, I just know".

The lights were still off and everyone was fast asleep. Nick knew he wouldn't be joining them anytime soon; he would struggle for sleep and instead be waiting for the sun to rise. Nick walked past a motionless body, presumably asleep but he would soon wake to see the terrible truth.

Nick looked at his watched. "Lucy why didn't you tell me". She was walking next to him hoping that he would leave the questions for the tomorrow.

"Look we should all get to sleep it's almost morning". Lucy had glanced at nicks watched as they left the storage room. Lucy walked back over to her sleeping.

Alex was still looking at nick, confused; bewildered he didn't blame her he felt exactly the same way. "Nick..."

"Wait until tomorrow". He said deliberately interrupting her.

Alex walked away and out of sight in the gloomy darkness of the store.

Nick knew what she was going to say, the question that was even on his mind, and was the one thing that still confused him about the whole thing. If she was his sister then why did she try and kill him?

He collapsed onto his sleeping bag in front of him trying to forget about what had happened and get some much needed rest.

At some point nick had fell asleep because the next thing he knew he could heard garbled shouts he tiredly sat up in a half asleep gaze like a sleepwalker. He saw Dave shouting at a crowd of people. He shouted at nick but his voice was muffled. He moved closer to nick and shook him out of his sleep." Nick wake up". His voice was clear now.

"What is it" asked nick yawning and stretching his arms.

He saw a man in the crowd crying.

"What Happened?"

"It's another murder well two murders"

"Two"

"Yeah they happened in the night and I think I know who did it"

"Who?"

Dave pointed to Lucy. "It was her someone saw her get up in the middle of the night" he smiled. "You were right".

Nick shook his head. "No you were right she's innocent"

"Isn't it enough that I admit your right?" he asked almost shouting.

"She's not the killer"

"You were going to go and kill her yourself and now I'm letting you". Dave held out a knife to nick. "Take it".

Nick pushed it away. "How did you know I was going to kill her?"

"Nothing much gets past me nick" said Dave infuriatingly

"I won't do it"

"Yesterday you were ranting and raving about how she tried to kill you and now when I give you the opportunity you turn it down". Shouted Dave angrily his voice escalating. "What happened that changed your mind nick" everyone in the stores attention was now on them.

They thought Lucy was killer if he told the truth they would lock him up or maybe even kill him. Nick thought of his answer

"Well" shouted Dave impatiently waiting for an answer".

Nick could see Lucy nodding her head.

"I found out that she's my sister".

Dave pulled a gun to nicks head. "So your involved in this, I should have known". Nick held up his hands.

"Dave you have to believe me I only found out last night".

"You were with her"

"I was interrogating her that's all I was doing".

Dave put away the gun.

"Thank you".

"Ok take them to the storage room". A man dressed in military clothing walked over to nick but he was now fully alert. The soldier grabbed nick shoulder but he twisted around and punched him in the face. The soldier reacted quickly barely affected by the punch and kicked nick in the stomach. Dave knelt down to face nick who was clenching his kidneys. "Sorry nick but you kind of brought this on yourself" nick could feel his hands being tightly squeezed together by a thick piece of rope. The soldier pushed him forward threatening to wind him. He could see the two body's on the floor as he was dragged past, two women. one of them had blonde hair and looked barely over 18 she was wearing a dress and suffered the same fate as the first dead woman a sword was impaled in her chest. The other woman was much older, she had black hair was obese and had a much worse fate her skin was gone; it was grated off when she was still alive. Why no one heard their screams he didn't know. As a present the killer put the grated skin in a jar and left it next to the body. her heart had stopped beating hours ago and was now on display for the scared crowd to see. Everyone around the bodies were devastated some people were crying uncontrollably, some were just standing there staring motionless taking it all in and others were looking away terrified of what they can see but at that moment they would surely realise a horrible and simple reality. Anyone of them could be next.