Chapter Seven

Isabeth faked it

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Isabeth faked it. All night she pretended to be sleep. Normally, she wouldn't do such a thing but last night wasn't a normal night. Last night, when she rushed back to Primrose Dorm all she wanted to do was pull off her rain-soaked clothes and jump in the shower. Jump in the shower and wash every trace of Dr. Fulton off her skin. His touch. His kisses. His secretion dried between her thighs. She wanted it all gone. She wanted to get in the shower and breakdown. Give herself over to the despair setting root in her soul. She wanted her limitless tears to be washed away by the cleansing water but she couldn't do that. As soon as she reached the fourth floor she saw the girl under the Dawson Prep hoodie nodding off by her door.

"You need to stand up for yourself," Isabeth affirmed locking the diamond stud onto her ear with the silver post. "It's your room too. I'm getting exhausted, literally, last week you woke me up three times to let you in my room."

Isabeth was the only girl with her own room which pissed Faith off and confused Harper since their parents paid the same for tuition. The last room at the end of the hallway was the biggest and Isabeth loved it. It wasn't because she didn't have to share; it was the creaking wood floors that reminded her of her grandfather's house in Vermont. The wine painted walls resembled her Aunt Anisa's favorite lipstick and the mahogany wood that constructed her dresser, bed frame, desk, and armoire that mimicked the same pattern of the furniture in her room in Evening, Massachusetts.

"I want to keep the peace," uttered a light voice from the en suite bathroom. "In less than two months we graduation," Maya said emerging from the bathroom combing her hands through her wet raven hair.

The daughter of a struggling single mother of three, Maya Hernandez, received a scholarship from Mount Glory Baptist Church. Maya's self-esteem often wavered from her lack of funds and pedigree. Even though, she was without in some categories she had one of the highest grade point averages in her class.

Isabeth studied her appearance in the dresser mirror. She looked the same. Her hair that flirted with straight and curly still hung well past her shoulders. Her mocha skin was still flawless and her deep brown eyes still shimmered like stars in the night sky. It was her mind that had changed. The actions of last night clogged her conscious. Last night, after a quick shower she played possum. While she was tucked nicely in her bed, her brain played every scenario through. Maybe Benny knew what he was doing when he took Fulton's body. Maybe she would get away with it. Or maybe he didn't know what he was doing and he would get caught. The police would crack his twisted, feeble mind and he would rat her out. Instead of taking part in the graduation march in the navy blue gown, she would be in prison orange braiding hair in the courtyard.

Don't act guilty and then no one will know; her instinct whispered to her. It continued, Act normal.

Isabeth exhaled a tension-riddled breath fixing the collar of her navy button-down shirt. "Act normal. Forget it all," She whispered to herself before turning around. She grabbed her yellow Kate Spade tote from her bedpost and urgently ushered Maya out of her room.