An Announcement To Make (Pt.1)

~*~An Announcement to Make (Pt.1)

It was nearing five o'clock in the morning and Becky was on her way to the airport. Her flight was leaving Harrisburg International at eight twenty. It was Becky's first time on a plane and she was going to the airport entirely alone so, she wanted to make sure she had plenty of time to get checked in for her flight.

The street was lit up by the glow of the tail lights in front of, and all around her. "Like Christmas," she remarked bitterly at the holiday that was fast approaching. The snow was falling in big, thick flakes onto her windshield. The ground was already covered in the soft, white blanket. It only provided her with another reason to leave Pennsylvania for the holidays and go to stay with her cousin in San Francisco.

When she finally got to the airport, she got her long term parking pass quickly and parked her little car in the lot. There were already a lot of cars with varying amounts of snow piled up on them as a testament to how long they'd been there.

She caught the tram to the airport and, when it let her off, she rushed into the heated building gladly, her suitcase bumping along on the ground behind her.

The airport was relatively calm considering the holiday season. Becky made quick work of checking her luggage in and getting through security. She had a few hours to kill before her flight would be boarding so, after finding her flight gate, she roamed around the airport for a while.

There was a bookstore located conveniently next to a Starbucks so she bought herself a book and a hot chocolate. Back at her flight gate, she curled up in one of the seats and made herself at home for the time being.

More passengers for her flight arrived as the time neared and before long it was a bustling hub of activity. There were mothers with small children, older couples and younger couples, single people and large groups.

Becky stayed to herself in her seat and tucked her book into her carry-on bag, trying to pay attention to the bright voice that was speaking over the intercom. "Flight 391 to Chicago O'Hare is now boarding at Gate 7. Flight 391 to Chicago O'Hare is now boarding."

There was a massive push by the crowd to get to the front of the line. Becky held back and dug around for her boarding pass and ticket. When she'd found them in her shoulder bag, she waited patiently in the line until she could walk through the tunnel and into the plane.

She was greeted warmly by the flight attendant inside the door and then she was walking into the aisle of the plane.

The first thing Becky noticed was the overwhelming sensation of claustrophobia. Everyone was in a flurry of movement, trying to stow bags in the over head compartments or find their seats. Becky was in the back row and she had to squeeze past a few people who were too stubborn to move out of her way.

When she'd found her seat, she made herself comfortable once more. She looked out the window as everyone else found their seats and waited for take off. 

Becky was so deep in watching the sunrise that she didn't notice when someone occupied the seat next to her. "Hi," a deep voice said from beside her.

Becky jumped at the unexpected voice and placed her hand over her heart in an attempt to calm its erratic beating.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." The man next to her said. He was incredibly fair skinned with a mess of blonde curls atop his head. Dark brown eyes stared at her and blinked owlishly in the harsh overhead lights. "I guess we'll be sitting next to each other until Chicago. My name is Cayton."

"Becky," she said, shaking his outstretched hand.

"That's a strong grip you've got there, Becky..." Cayton said once she'd released his hand. He playfully flexed his fingers to make sure they were all still in working order.