Chapter Nine

Mystery Character's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------

I pace around in my quarters, waiting for a report from my scout to come in. A knock suddenly sounds, echoing in my practically barren bedroom.

"Come in," I say. A nervous-looking boy pokes his head in.

"U-uh S-she, uh, Avery has returned, D-doc-"

"Good," I interrupt. "She is waiting in the Meet, I presume?"

"Um...actually no Doctor. She's in the Med. Ward, 'cause she suffered some injuries."

I count to ten inside my head, trying to control my frustrated feelings that were threatening to surface. I nod my head head at the boy to dismiss him. He leaves almost immediately. I pinch the bridge of my nose. I was informed that the boy we were after was some weak boy, with no confidence, not some guy that could beat up my best assassin. Either a few people are going to be expelled tonight, or that boy has allies other than those annoying twerps called "Wanderers".

I collect myself and my thoughts, before heading down to the Med. Ward where apparently Avery was lounging.

I head down the halls, and everyone in them stand to the side and bow their head slightly as I walk past. I hold my head up a little higher, loving the power coursing through me.

I enter the Med. Ward and am pointed by a nurse to the room Avery is residing in. When I walk in, the nurse checking her vitals, gives me a small nod and a, "Doctor." She leaves almost immediately.

Once the nurse leaves, I turn to Avery and look over her, trying to gauge how hurt she is. I read over the folder the nurse left on Avery's  injuries. Apparently she only has a few bruises and cuts, plus a nasty hole where a dart? hit her. Oh, and the poison running through her veins. But other than that she's unharmed.

Avery weakly lift her head towards me. "Doctor, ready to give a mission report," she says hoarsely, before coughing. She wipes her mouth with a tissue, staining it red.

I nod, "What happened."

Avery coughs again, "When I first got ready to follow them, I had to make sure that the dog for one didn't see me, as well as the three girls. There were twins about 10 and another girl about the same age as the boy, my target. I followed them for a while, and I had no clue where they were headed. One of the twins, I think, realized I was there first, because I'm assuming that's what she told the older girl, seeing as the older girl suddenly looked around. She might've seen a bit of my head or something, because she was on her guard more. She altered the direction she was headed, but kept walking. I might've stepped on a twig or something, because in the next split second I threw my knife and she threw her dart thing, which hit me in the stomach. My knife would've killed her but she had ducked so it scraped her cheek instead. We fought for a bit, but she threw some kind of powder in the air, which I think was poisonous, and her dart was probably tipped too. We both went unconscious, but when I awoke I was alone. I had a hard time making it back, and I'm unsure of how I survived, but a Scout saw me I think and helped me get back here. I'm not sure what happened to the target and his allies or whoever they were."

I nod slowly. "Get better. We will see how we will assess these new...issues, when your health rises. Good day."

As I walk out, I ask the nurse in a lowered voice,"What is her likelihood of survival?"

The nurse glances towards Avery, who was now unconscious, and replies,"32%, Doctor."

I sigh. I thank her and head out of the Med. Ward. I pinch the bridge of my nose, and head down to the Institute.

---------------------------------
Heyo! I know this chapter is a bit shorter, but I wanted to give y'all a taste of where Avery comes from. If any of you remember, The MOBB. Which you'll find out more about who they are and what they do a bit later in their adventure. Thank you guys for sticking with the story! Love you guys,
Kaitlyn 💛