Chapter 1

C h a p t e r    O n e

The moment the nurse handed the baby to me - a 6.4lb girl - my life changed forever. I knew that I had to do whatever it would take to keep her safe. Her big green eyes brightened the moment they locked on my face. Even though she'd been born just minutes before I could see her brown hair beginning to curl up in little ringlets atop her head. 

Just like her father. 

Suddenly my entire world changed. It wasn't just about me anymore - it was about us. Me and this baby. 

Jada Drew Hendricks-Styles. 

Of course, the name Styles wouldn't be included on the birth certificate. The father slot would be left blank. I claimed she was the product of a rape, although that was far from the truth. She was born out of love; a love her father and I foolishly shared as teenagers. 

My mother believed the lie. So did my sister, and a lot of my friends. Only one knew the truth. And it wasn't the father. 

"She's gorgeous," my best friend, Stacy, cooed as soon as the baby was placed in my arms. "She looks just like her father."

"I know," I said, my heart both growing a million sizes and breaking at the same time. The baby looked up at me as if I was her whole world. Stacy started to cry, and then I broke down too. Jada - named for the green eyes she inherited from her father - frowned and reached her little hands out towards me.

I smiled through my tears and hugged her close. They were both happy and sad tears. I was happy to finally see my baby. I was sad because I knew her father would never know about her. 

"And what's her birthday?" the interviewer asks. I smile and flip my hair over my shoulder to the side, smiling at just the thought of my baby. 

"December fifteenth," I answer. "Just ten days short of Christmas."

"How sweet," the man - Andy - says. He smiles warmly and I beam brightly back at him, my stomach full of butterflies at just the thought of my daughter. 

"She was an early Christmas present," I say, fighting back a tear and a small sob. Just talking about my daughter makes me emotional. "I haven't had a better one since."

"I was told that she was here, on set," Andy says. "Would you like to bring her out?"

The audience claps and I turn to the offstage area where Stacy is standing, holding my baby. She's gotten so big in the past four years it's almost unbelievable. She now stands at about 3'2 and weighs a whopping 38 pounds. 

Jada clings to her aunt as she sucks on her thumb, holding her teddy bear in the other. It's the teddy bear her father gave me the night before he left for XFactor; before he found out I was pregnant. It was a goodbye gift. A gift meant for a best friend; a lover. 

Not the mother of his child. 

I turn to my manager, asking for permission. When he nods I smile and hold out my hand, beconing for Stacy to bring her to me. My best friend - all legs and curves - walks her to me. The audience claps and cheers as she's handed to me. Jada giggles and claps along, smiling brightly. 

"You must be Jada," Andy says, leaning over his desk slightly. Jada smiles and blushes, leaning back into me. I'm aware of Stacy taking a seat beside me.