ii. ALL THE STARS

CHAPTER TWO
( ALL THE STARS )

CHAPTER TWO  ( ALL THE STARS )

SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT THE FOLLOWING NIGHT, her first Astronomy class after James had befriended her. When he walked in alongside the rest of the Marauders only a minute before class was to start, he caught her eye and grinned before turning back to his friends.

"I'm going to sit next to Estelle," he told them. "I'll see you when class ends to plan that prank." Sirius blew him an overly dramatized kiss and the bespectacled boy caught it with a laugh before winking at his best mate and walking to where the Ravenclaw was seated.

Estelle could hear his footsteps as he made his way over to her, and she smiled softly as she opened her Astronomy textbook and readied her star charts. Astronomy had, quite obviously, always been her favorite class. When she was young, she'd go stargazing with her mother and Professor Soleil, who had been her mother's best friend since their days at Beauxbatons and later, Hogwarts (the two of them had transferred just before their sixth year, for reasons Estelle hadn't been aware of until last year).

"Evening, Elle," James slid into the seat next to her, grinning. "What are you up to at this fine hour?"

"Already onto nicknames, are we? Alright then, Jamie." She countered, smiling in triumph when he visibly cringed. "And I'm preparing for class, you buffoon. What else would I be up to at this fine hour?"

He clutched his chest dramatically at the insult, feigning a look of hurt. "I came here to have a good time, and I'm honestly feeling so attacked right now—" he never finished his statement, because before he had the chance, she hit him on the head and promptly told him to shut his trap.

"Class is starting, James, so hush," she said, giving him somewhat of an explanation after seeing the hurt look on his face as he rubbed his temples. "Some people actually want to learn, you know."

     James chuckled and shook his head at her, almost condescendingly. "What a nerd."

Estelle only rolled her eyes as Professor Soleil entered they Astronomy Tower to begin class. She smiled at all of her students, her eyes landing on Estelle and giving her a wink. The young witch smiled back at the woman who is like an aunt to her, and she listens intently as Annette began her lesson about nebulae.

It was only 20 minutes in, and James was already lost. He didn't understand how Estelle could remember every little fact and detail that had to do with astronomy. Especially nebulae. He didn't understand why in Merlin's name he needed to know about nebulae.