Chapter 4

Nova

"Enough." My blazing gaze broke slightly as my sobs became audible.

"I hear it all." I tried to hold the snot that was threatening to drain from my nose because of all the crying. If he really cared, he would have felt my pain and come looking for me.

That's because he doesn't care, my wolf growled out angrily. At first, she was extremely happy to have a mate but now I could feel the pain, anger and doubt that ran through her.

I know, I replied sadly.

"Nova let me explain," he begged walking closer to me. I let out a fierce growl that stopped him in his tracks. My wolf was pushing at the surface. She wanted nothing more than to rip him to pieces.

"No. I don't want to hear it."

"Well, you're going to hear it!"

Did he just use his Alpha tone on me, I asked myself.

Yes, he did. I could feel the struggle with me to obey him, but it was no match for my anger at this point. What was that old saying? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Well, Alpha hath no power like a she-wolf angry.

"Why so you can feed me some bullshit line like you do with everyone else? I think not."

"No, I want to explain my reasoning to you," he said.

He looked a bit shocked that his Alpha command had no effect on me. He tilted his head like he was trying to figure me out. Or figure out what I was or who I was.

"OK then, tell me why. Why did you break my heart? Why did you break my wolf's heart? Why," I shouted.

You could still hear my questions lingering in the air. The echo of them being carried miles away.

"You're not in shape. You're fat. You'd get us both killed. Do you know how dangerous it would be for you? What with the hunters and the rogues around here, and then the threat from the new pack in the area not to mention the Vampires, people WILL be looking for the Alpha's mate. And with you being your size, you'd get caught," he explained.

I laughed venomously. So, he was doing this for me? Or was he just doing it for him? I looked at his face and was instantly pulled into his gorgeous blue eyes. Could he really be trying to protect me? My wolf was begging me not to give into him as I would normally do. She was begging that I stayed strong. I shook my head.

Why did this have to happen to me, I asked myself.

As if a sign from the Fates, a coppery colored wolf with brown eyes sprinted from the trees and stood next to Maxon. When he turned to me his face dropped and looked embarrassed. I knew it was Juan. While he had never made fun of me, he had never jumped in to stop his mate or anyone from making of me. It had me wondering why he was defending me now.

I thought back to the conversation that took place between them. He had told Maxon that it was just baby fat and would go away as soon as I shifted. Which was something we all knew to be true, so it couldn't have just been him trying to protect me. Even when Maxon was my age, he had a bit of a stomach on him. Then as if the Fates were now trying to have me sympathetic to Maxon's reply, I remembered something from the past.

Contrary to popular opinion, Maxon had not always been that arrogant asshole that he is now. He used to help Alex take care of me, he was like a second big brother. We would all play games and sometimes even when they were playing games with the other older kids, they would still make time for me. We were so happy back then.