Chapter 5

I'm not ashamed to admit that a smile had been plastered on my face since I left Scott's office. And that I bounced my way into my car amidst a few weirded-out stares when I got off from work. Nothing like the best news ever to brighten up this sad, horrific day.

Besides, I know George (bless his soul) would be happy to know that his precious secretary didn't get lay off from his company. I bet he didn't mind that I immediately jumped from being traumatized and grieving to becoming perky and extremely thrilled.

Okay, maybe a little.

But it's not like I've already forgotten my mission to bust the killer. So cut me some slack here.

"Babe."

"Jesus Christ!" I yelped from the driver's seat of my Prius. I abruptly turned to look at the backseat and glared at the intruder. "Damn it, Tyler! What the hell are you doing inside my car?"

For the second time in less than twenty-four hours, my ex-boyfriend tried to give me a heart attack. And boy was he close to succeeding. My heart was thumping like crazy, I felt like it was going to burst out of my chest.

Did I unwittingly give him a duplicate key of my car too?

"I watched the news. I want to know how you're doing," he shrugged, as if creeping the hell out of his ex-girlfriend was the most natural thing in the world.

"What news?" I snapped.

He turned meek, knowing that I wasn't too happy to see him. "Your boss's death."

So George's murder was all over the news now. I wondered if my dad had heard about it too. Probably not. Because my phone wasn't ringing frantically. Atleast not yet, anyway.

"So are you--"

"I'm fine!" I barked, cutting Tyler off abruptly that he jolted on his seat. I was so not in the mood to appease an ex-boyfriend. Especially when that ex-boyfriend almost caused me a cardiac arrest. What was his deal, anyway? Didn't I make it clear last night that I want nothing to do with him anymore? "Now will you please tell me why the hell are you creeping up on me again?"

"I was just worried about you, Lace. When I saw that news, I thought something bad happened to you. Please don't take that right away from me too." He looked so crestfallen that I felt sorry for him. Well almost.

"I would. If you keep on doing this." I sighed and turned back on my seat. Our eyes met through the rear view mirror. "We're over, Tyler. Can't you see that?"

"But I'm still having a hard time processing that information," he complained.

For a man his age, Tyler sure is whiny. Whatever. It made me even more thankful that I no longer have to deal with his bullshit.

I rolled my eyes. "It's been weeks."

"It felt like days. And I missed you so bad. Your eyes, your smile, your --"

I snorted. "You seriously need to get over yourself."

"Easier said than done," he grumbled.

"Well, that's not my problem anymore, is it?" I could feel myself getting more and more irritated with him. I breathed deeply to calm my annoyed nerves. "Now will you please get out of my car so I could go?"

"Well could you drop me somewhere? I didn't bring my car with me," Tyler said sheepishly.

Ugh. Patience. I need patience.

"Fine. I'll drop you off at the next stop," I snapped, gnashing my teeth as I revved up the car's engine and pulled out of the parking lot.

God forbid, but I'm so close to throwing Tyler out of the car into oncoming traffic.