the no-faced man

I turn around. Where should I go now? There aren’t any direct paths, only sections on the ground where no grass lives and breathes. I decide to follow the dirt track. I wasn’t given any clues or any hints to the location of the key. There are no signs around, nor any notes. I feel lost, probably because I am lost. The wind continues to howl in my ears, and sneak down my neck, forcing all my little hairs to stand up.

As I follow the path I find a building, but it’s protected by a metal cage. There is a door, but something lies across it, making the door un-open able. I’ll need something heavy to break it. I turn around and continue along the dirt tracks. My footsteps make loud noticeable noises as I walk. I try to walk more softly and carefully, but it’s no use, the gravel and dirt continue to produce noises no matter how softly I step.   In the distance I find an old bull dozer. I must have been sitting here for years looking at how rusty it is. Its yellow paint has chipped and faded away, leaving the rust exposed to the world.  Rusty barrels stand scattered around the area; they too look like they have been sitting in this forest for years. I circle around the bull dozer.

I fall backwards and land on my back when my eyes land on the horror. Where work men once sat, steering and controlling the bull dozer, now lies, a dead corps. The corps has brown noted hair; this person must have been tall when they were once alive. The skin as been burnt, open wounds are dotted everywhere. Blood stains the person’s eyes, mouth, ears and hair. Sitting on top of the corps is a note. I stand back up, and move closer to get a better view. The paper is ripped and torn, and smudged in certain places. It is the only thing that doesn’t have blood covering it. I reach up, careful not to touch the corps and the maggots which are enjoying a meal. The note reads.

“Don’t look, or it takes you”

Written in black. In the bottom right-hand corner is a drawing of a tall stick man, and at the top right corner is a cross. I fold the note in half and place it on my pocket. Behind me is a blue shipping container, with a door on the front. There is no lock. I race and push on the door. It’s heavy and rusty too, but I use all my strength and it opens. At the back of the room is a desk, and next to that a filing cabinet. Along the left wall is a row of golden, but rusted shovels. The room is light, and I can see without my flash light. On the desk is a note. I walk up and grasp it in my hands.

“I’ve almost lost all hope. I’m writing this story for anybody to find, just to let somebody know the truth behind what happened. My name is Cody Ferrior. I’m lost in these woods and I’ve been wandering for hours. It’s the middle of the night and the batteries of my flash light are running low. I barley can see where I’m going. But these aren’t’ the only problems I have. There’s something wrong with this dark forest. Which scares me, I feel like something is lurking in the dark behind the trees, waiting for me. Thank God I found this little place where I can rest. I can’t hide here forever, so I’m going now. I’ve seen an entrance to the underground tunnels nearby, maybe the tunnel will lead me to the exit. “

Sitting next to the note is a key. The keys to the underground tunnels.  I run the shipping container and back where I came from. I’m glad I learnt how to read stars when I was a child, or I would never know which direction to go. I build up some speed as I puff down the dirt track. A noise fills my ears, it sounds like someone is drumming in the distance.  From behind the trees a man appears, he is tall, and wears a black suit and tie, but what worries me most, is his lack of face.

No eyes

No mouth

No ears

No nose

No eyes brows. Just white. I sprint off in the other direction. This is the creature I saw before, this is the drawing on the note and this is the creature that Cody Ferrior’s note spoke of. I hide being the Bull dozer. The drumming becomes softer, until my ears can no longer pick its sound up. I check if the coast is clear. Where the no faced man stood before, is empty. Apart from the trees and grass. I slowly rise and circle around me. He’s gone?  But he’ll be back. I run along the path, holding the flash light close to my chest and the key, tightly wrapped in my sweaty hand.  I run past the caged building, and back towards the little evilly locked building. I reach it and poke the key into the whole, and it’s a perfect fit, I twist the key and open the door.