Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"What's wrong Vanessa? You think you can do it?" Annie says, with a knowing smile on her face.

Dammit, she knows I haven't had my first kiss yet. If I back out now, I'd look like a coward in front of everybody!

But I don't want my first kiss to be like that. I want it to be special.

Even if I did do it, Jason- or Jace- whatever his name is, will think I'm a complete weirdo. I first sit with him at lunch with a cheek that had chocolate on it and then I go and kiss him. How completely random is that!?

I can't ever be so bold, especially not with guys.

But contrary to that, I don't want Raine to think I'm a loser for not having my first kiss yet and Annie will probably tell the whole school what a coward I am.

So what do I choose- my pride or my first kiss?

I stood up and looked at Annie with determined eyes.

I won't be ridiculed anymore. I had to do it.

"Vanessa, you don't have to do it." Raine says.

"Uh yes she does," Annie spits back. "It's a dare, remember."

Raine glares at her and Annie gives her a sickly sweet smile.

"Go on, baby sis." She 'encourages'.

My heart beat started to fasten and I made my way to the stairs.

How the hell was I even going to get him to kiss me? What, should I just march up into the room and grab him by the cheek? No, that would be too cheesy and that only happens in the movies.

I took a deep breath and let Raine guide me to his room.

Shit is it too late to back out right now?

Raine sighs. "I'm sorry Vanessa. Maybe I shouldn't have let them come over."

I forced a smile. "It's fine. I mean, it's just one tiny kiss right? It's not like she told me to make out with the guy or anything right?"

She nods and smiles weakly. "I just don't want you to do something you don't want to do."

"It's fine," I reassure her. "I mean you're okay with me doing this right?"

She shrugs. "It's just awkward, you know?"

I nod in understanding. We stopped at his door seconds later and I creaked it open.

He was laying on his bed.

I stepped inside and he didn't seem to notice me.

It looked like he was sleeping but he wasn't. His eyes were closed and I heard music blasting out of his earbuds. He probably didn't hear me coming in because of that.

I took this time to look around the room. His walls were painted a dark blue color and he had band posters on his wall. There were a couple of burn marks on the wall as well and this really big hole.

The room was neat overall. It was different compared to Alec's. His room was covered in band posters as well but his was pretty messy.

"Um Jace?" I say, not knowing whether to call him Jason or Jace.

He didn't respond. Obviously if he didn't notice me coming in, he wouldn't hear me calling his name, so I had no idea why I said that.

I decided to poke him to get his attention. Another bad move.

As if on reflex, his eyes snapped open and he yanks the hand I poked him with.

I ended up with him pinning me down on the bed by both hands. I think my loud shriek made him realize that I was not a stranger and his eyes widened a bit.