Chapter 27

Something inside me snapped. The loose ends writhed free, slicing everything in their path. I had met the queen once, and still the shock numbed me. I could only imagine how Kai felt, to be told so abruptly. No doubt some part of him would refuse to believe it, and another part had dreaded this moment for years. Ever since she first got ill.

The Shadowcat regained his feet and brushed the dust from his clothing disdainfully. "There. I knelt. It cannot be said we didn't acknowledge your claim. Now if it pleases you, Kaeden, kindly leave my home and do not return until your royal backside has touched the throne. Otherwise, we can't support you. Goodbye."

"Wait," Nate said hurriedly, obviously realising Kai wasn't in the mood for political arguments right then. "We — Kaeden, I mean — has a suggestion which would benefit all of us."

Isaiah tipped his head to the side, a purely feline motion which awoke the fight-flight instincts inside me. "And I'd be more than happy to hear it once the terms are met. You of all people know how irksome it is to work around oaths, Nathan. And I swore one to serve the throne, not any Llewellyn princeling with a pulse."

"With all due respect, father, I have to remind you that you have sworn more than one oath."

By the way he froze, I suspected that was an argument in itself, even if I didn't understand its significance. Isaiah jaw was tight as he said, "Irrelevant. I speak for our race now, and we will answer only to the throne. How much clearer must I make this?"

I snuck a glance at Kai to see how he was taking this blatant dismissal. He was stood stiffly, hollow-eyed and numb. I didn't think he had even heard Isaiah's words, but he quickly proved me wrong about that.

"Oh, your position is clear. So I should clarify my own," Kai said matter-of-factly. "I have just been orphaned. I am in exile. I am isolated and being hunted by every shifter within ten miles. The only thing I do have is a claim to the throne. And at this point, I would do just about anything for allies. My generosity has no limits."

"I'm not sure I follow."

Kai continued as if he hadn't been interrupted, making the pause look like a chance to draw breath. "Wyatt Rochester, on the other hand, is comfortable. He has the Moon Guard on a leash and allies all around him, not to mention the regency. In short — no room for another lapdog. Is that what you want? Your people to be left out in the cold because his fireside is already crowded?"

Silence in the hall. I tried to smother a crazy grin. There — there it was. Kai was sweet and caring, but this was Kaeden, who had been raised to deal with men like Isaiah Silveryn. And he kinda terrified me, but in a good way.

"You make a good argument, Kaeden. But my people can make their own fires," Isaiah said after a time. He was looking increasingly open to the conversation by the second, which I supposed was a good sign.

"They can," he agreed. "That independence has always been an attribute of the Shadowcats. And it's exactly what I can give you, if you care enough to listen. Wouldn't it make a difference if you had free run of all the island, not just this corner? And maybe the freedom to govern yourselves?"

Nate's head whipped around to stare at Kai, his green eyes astonished. I surmised then that this offer had been long-awaited, or perhaps no one had ever thought to suggest it. The other shifters in the hall reacted similarly: shuffling and muttering amongst themselves. Isaiah took note with obvious annoyance.

"Very well." The Shadowcat flicked his tongue over serrated teeth. "We shall talk. What, exactly, do you propose?"

***

An hour later, we stood in a small chamber off the main hall. Isaiah had, very grudgingly, found us a meal. I had tried not to think about how long it had been since I ate while I wolfed down the food. Then we had retired to a more private place to talk.