Chapter 3: Fact or Fiction?

To @perfectlynot, for all the encouragement you've given me. (:

Happy reading!

_____

Tessa shivered from the cold.

This place was freezing, she realized, wrapping her arms around herself. And she didn’t even know where she was because her eyes were still shut tight.

Peeling open her eyes, she took in the sight before her, and stepped back dizzily.

I think I’m going to faint.

Drew gaped, his eyes wide. “Where is this?” He shook his head, blinked rapidly, and grew panicked. “W—where are we?”

Taking in the dozens of life-sized mushrooms before them, with their polka-dotted caps, and windows and doors cut into their stalks, Tessa gasped. “Mushroom houses,” she whispered faintly, looking heavenward. Fluffy pastel-coloured clouds adorned the sky, painting it with splotches of pink, violet and blue. “Cotton candy clouds? Oh help.

She took a few steps back, and bumped her head against a striped red-and-white pole. “Ow. A candy cane?” She winced and rubbed her head gingerly. Looking up, she saw candy baubles hanging from extensions of the pole.

“I think we’re inside the book, Tessa,” Drew said. “I can’t even believe…”

Tessa looked down at her empty hands. They felt strangely light. The book they’d been holding—

It wasn’t there anymore.

Drew ran a hand over the smooth stalk of the nearest mushroom, and poked at a large red dot on its cap. “And this is a… house?” He sounded doubtful.

“Drew, don’t…” Don’t touch it, Tessa wanted to say.

Just then, the door flew open, nearly slamming into Drew. He sprang back in surprise.

Out bounced a little fellow, no taller than Tessa’s waist. He was wearing a faded green tunic that reached his knees, belted at the waist with a string of grass and twigs. “Why, hello!” he greeted. His green eyes twinkled up at them.

Tessa and Drew shared a glance, taking a step back in shock.

He craned his neck to look at them, swiveling his pointed ears upwards so he could hear better. Tilting his head to the side, he squinted at them. “Oh, visitors! You look strange. Where did you come from? Candyfloss Town? Popcorn City? Caramel Village? Oooh, so adorable. Let me take a look at you!” he exclaimed. This youngster spoke with the speed of a bullet train. He bounded towards them gleefully, and Tessa and Drew took another few steps back, ready to flee.

 “Mama!” he yelled, oblivious to their panic.

“What is it, Jojo?” a female voice called.

“There are aliens outside! Come and see!”

Another elf appeared behind the fellow (Jojo, apparently). She was older, with wrinkles on her face, and was only a little taller than her son. She had a motherly air about her, and smiled warmly at Tessa and Drew.

Jojo continued advancing towards them, scrutinizing them carefully. Oh, no.

“Elves,” Tessa murmured. She really was going to faint. “Let’s…”

Drew took Tessa’s hand. “…run,” he finished.

And they ran for their dear lives and screamed their heads off, leaving the elves staring after them, utterly puzzled.