The Immortality Plot - chapter 9

Delaney could hear her breathing. He sensed she had recently been crying.

“Hello, is this Mrs. Maclean?”

“Who is this?”

“My name is Mike Delaney. I hope you’ll forgive this cold call but I think you may have known my wife. I found your name and this number in her address book.”

“Really? Your wife? What’s her name?”

“Her name was Maria, Mrs Maclean. You may have known her as Maria Montalban.”

There was silence from the other end of the line.

“Mrs Maclean?”

“Yes, I’m here and yes, I have had contact with Maria. I’ve been waiting for her to call me. She promised she would. How is she?”

“Well, she’s dead, Mrs Maclean. She was murdered two months ago.”

“Oh my God!”

“I’m sorry to call you like this. There are things I need to know.”

“Murdered? I can’t believe it. She was going to help me. She was so kind.”

“Where are you, Mrs Maclean?”

“Norfolk, Virginia, and it’s Lena. Please call me Lena.”

“Okay, Lena.”

“I’m so sorry. She told me she was married but never mentioned your name.”

“She mightn’t have, Lena, not if she was working. You said she was helping you.”

“We were helping each other. I’ve been trying to get the media interested in things that have happened to me and she was the only one who really believed or cared about it.”

“There is a lot to talk about, Lena. May I come and see you?”

“Of course, but…”

“But what, Lena?”

“Frankly, I’m frightened, Mr. Delaney. How do I know you are who you say you are?”

Delaney had not been expecting this question.

“I’m not sure how I can convince you long distance, Lena.” He thought quickly. “Do you have email?”

“Yes.”

“How about I email you some wedding photographs. I have a folder on my laptop?”

“That would be fine. I’m sorry to be so suspicious, but Maria warned me to be very careful.”

“What’s worrying you?” asked Delaney.

“I think there are people watching the house.”

“People?”

“It’s probably my imagination but ever since I spoke with Maria I’ve had a feeling I’ve been followed. Maybe I’m just stressed out but I imagine I see two men. Sometimes they are across the street in a car. And I’m sure if I go out to the mall or somewhere, they are watching me there. Now Maria…” she began to sob quietly.

“I don’t think we should speak on the ‘phone,” said Delaney softly. “Why don’t I email you those photographs, then I’ll call you from outside your house and you can check me out before you let me in?”

“All right.”

“I’m in California. I could be in Norfolk tomorrow.”

“Very well. My God, I’m so sorry to hear this news.”