Prologue

Its been fifteen years since the plague arose, a nasty, horrid virus that nearly wiping out humans, that is, until the vampires realised they were losing their food source and stepped in to "help". They helped alright. After concocting a working cure, they give us an ultimatum. Live and become slaves or die. They had already had humans to keep as their food source, so if we refused they could cut their losses and leave us to fend for ourselves. But we were desperate; we wanted to live. Even if it meant to submit to the vampires, give up our pride, our free will, our choice.

A king and queen arose amidst the vamps, King Thoren and Queen Lyla. The King and Queen ruled over our new "utopia". Fianite, Kingdom of Superiors. They along with the Royal Court were in charge. The Royal Court was made up with highly prized and unique vamps who each had special abilities other than the fast speed, superior strength, and hypnosis other more common vamps had. They lived in the inner city, which I heard was grand with bright gleaming buildings, posh and fancy shops and food in abundance.Lower class bloodsuckers lived with the majority of the human population in the outer circle. Here lied the cracked concrete homes, rundown pubs and starving slaves. There was a nice house or two, belonging to government leaders who answered to the Royals. I imagine if you were the sky looking down at Fianite, you would see a giant circle with a surrounding forest and a smaller circle inside with a large wall around it.The inner circle would be new and stylish while the outer circle is worn and falling apart. I suppose the Royals did this so if we were under attack, the lower beings would die while all the supernaturals would be warned.

"Oh, well if it's that terrible,why don't you escape?" Don't make me laugh. There are guards every foot around both gates to prevent escaping every single second of every single day. Don't even think about telling me to climb the wall. Its been done and its failed, because to get to the wall there is a field a mile and a half across between you and the wall. Go past fifty feet, guards won't hesitate to shoot you down. Lovely.

I suppose you're wondering were I fit into all of this insanity. Let me introduce myself. My name is Charlize Vanderway and I'm a witch.There are still nonhuman beings like me out there. After the plague more witches and shapeshifters came out of hiding. A fair part of land was donated the the were's and shapeshifters to appease them and not start a civil war. Witches on the other hand were very rare and secretive, staying hidden from vamps to avoid being misused for their power. They often made pacts with werewolves to have small settlements on werewolf territory so as to not be taken advantage of by vampires. My mother was a witch, though she hid it well. She made us stay in King Thoren's kingdom because it was hard to escape to were's land if we were caught... we would be guarded under lock and key with no chance of freedom. But alas, pretending to be human came with a price. Mother was killed by a bloodsucker who drained her dry... I was thirteen.

I'm a free eighteen year old now, which I consider a big acomplishment since sixteen year olds are taken and sold to the slave market. Most don't return unless they're ugly enough not to get picked. You're paraded around on a stage like a twisted beauty contest and go home with the highest bidder. Absolutly disgusting. Once chosen, that person belongs to the vamp that bought her until she/he reaches the age of thirty or the vamp kills her. The bloodsuckers can make their slave do whatever they want, sell them, bite them, kill them. Its barbaric.

Luckily I avoided my "sentence" because I don't exactly live on the grid. I'm a shadow, a runaway. I have been for five years. Because I have to steal food to eat, gold to sell and play harmless little tricks on the vamps (not really) I'm notoriously wanted as "The Blind Bandit". (Because I steal them blind.) The best part is that because I'm a witch I can change my appearence slightly so they don't know exactly what I looked like. The perks of being a witch.

Let's just hope I don't get caught. Vamps would love to get their hands on a witch.