Chapter Fourteen

Sang

       I start to come out of a heavy haze of sleep, surrounded by the smell of leather and cypress. My limbs ached when I tried to shift them, causing me to whimper.

      The last thing I remember is making my way into that crawl space, inching like a worm on my knees and elbows. It was hot and dark, I couldn't see how far back the space went so stayed near the opening. I just made sure my feet were through the door before closing it as far as I could. Hoping my mother wouldn't think to check the small door if she came back before the boys figured out my message. The air in that room felt heavy and thick. I tried to keep low, laying on the ground. I could feel the sweat pooling along my hairline but without a breeze I felt no relief. I began to feel light headed and heavy and then everything went black.

      "Sang?" I heard a familiar voice, "Sweetheart, it's Dr. Green. Can you hear me?"
     I turn my head toward his voice. My eye lids still felt heavy but I attempted to open them. When the room came into focus the first thing I noticed was that I wasn't in a hospital, but a house. Specifically, a bedroom. If I were to guess, I'd say it was a boy's room. I lay in a large bed with red sheets. The walls had karate posters hanging on them and there were dumbbell weights lined up on the floor. I must be back at Nathan's house.     
     "Sang?" I turned my head until my eyes met with the flirty green ones of Dr. Green. "There you are!" He smiled, "Welcome back to us. How are you feeling?"
     "A little groggy." I croak.
     "Yes, well, heat stroke will do that to a person." He says, "You hid yourself in that attic for who knows how long. Do you think you could sit up, have a few sips of water?" I nodded. He helps me gently to sit up and repositioned some pillows at my back to support me. I notice that the bungee cord on my legs had been replaced with soft gauze, wrapped gently around each individual leg. My wrists also were covered in bandages.
      "Thank you" I whisper, touching the soft fabric covering my wrists with my fingertips. "Thank you for coming for me." Dr. Green's eyes were soft and his grin was kind.
      "We promised we'd always help you, Pookie. You're stuck with us" he winked. Lifting a glass, he prompts me to drink. I take a few sips, rest and then take some more. After a few minutes my lethargy lifted. Dr. Green watch me carefully and he seemed to relax more as I came back to myself. Anxiety that I hadn't noticed before lifted from his face. "You gave us a bit of a scare. The boys are all waiting to in the other room to see you. Would you like me to let them in?" He asked.
      "Do you think maybe I could go to them? I'd like to try and walk around, if I can. I'm feeling much better. He smiled and nodded. He helped me turn my legs to hang off the bed and offered his arm in support to help me stand.
      "Don't push yourself." He warned, "you don't have to do everything right away." I nodded in understanding. He stood next to the bed and kept his arm extended for me so I wrapped my own around it, placing my hand on top of his forearm. He smiled at my actions, placing his free hand on top of mine. He wink at and straightened his posture, walking with me like a proper Southern gentleman would with his sweetheart. I giggled.
     Such a flirt.

      We walked slowly down the hall and entered the living room where all the boys were gathered. They all jumped to their feet. Silas was the closest, he stopped in front of me with arms slightly extended but a look of hesitation.
      "What's wrong, Silas?" I asked, not understanding his expression.
     Did I look that scary? With all my bandages I probably looked like a mummy.
      "I wanted to give you a hug, but I'm afraid I'll hurt you." He said. I smiled at my gentle giant. I gently unwrapped my arm from Dr. Green's and opened my arms toward Silas.
      "Please" I said simply.
     Without any further hesitation he scooped me up into his arms. He held me up off the ground, gripping me around my back and waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tucked my head down inhaling his ocean scented cologne.
      I'd never hugged a boy before. My heart thudded in my chest knowing that I was so close to a boy, touching a boy, but I knew it was okay. He was my friend and friends touched. Friends hugged. His hug was my first and it was wonderful. His grip was firm but not suffocating. His large, flexed, muscles were comforting. They made me feel safe.
    They missed me. They looked for me. They saved me.
     I was safe.

     I began to cry and tucked my face further into his neck. He started to loosen his hold but I tightened mine, gripping his shirt, not wanting him to let me go yet.
      "Is my hug that bad?" He teased. I laughed through my tears.
      "No. It's the best hug ever." I sniffled.
      "Oy, that's enough big guy, hand her over. Come here, Trouble." Gabriel called from beside us. I giggled again lifting my head to look at him.
      "Okay, Meanie. Here I come." Loosening my grip and patting Silas's back, signaling to let me down.
      "And you thought I gave you a horrible nickname." Gabriel he scoffed and then scooped me back up the moment my feet touched the ground and started walking away, the tips of my feet dragging the floor. "Alright guys, see you later. I'm just gonna take this with me." I giggled.
     Victor stopped him with a touch to Gabriel's shoulder and took me in his own arms.
     Victor's long, thin fingers seemed to trace my ribs on my back like he was pressing the keys of his piano. "I'm so glad you're okay, Princess." Victor murmured in my ear.

     They each took turns hugging me then. Each hug was different and special in its own way. They whispered their relief in my ear, telling me how worried they'd been.

      Nathan's arms wrapped around my shoulders, I wrapped my arms around his waist and gripped the back of his shirt. He simply nuzzled his stubble covered cheek to the top of my head. My heart warmed with the affection.

      North gripped me tight, almost crushing me to his chest. "Don't ever fucking scare us like that again, Sang Baby." I blushed at the name.
      "Sorry, North." He simply grunted in return. I smiled. My grumpy boy.

      Luke picked me up and swung me around in a circle, making me giggle. "We should celebrate! Sang, do you want chocolate chip pancakes?"
      "Always." I answered

      Kota's hug was gentle and warm. He rubbed his hands up and down my back, laying his cheek to the top of my head. "I'm glad you're okay. You had me worried for a few minutes back there." I simply nodded and gripped his waist tighter in apology.

      A throat was cleared in the room. Loosening my grip on Kota, I turn and see Mr. Blackbourne standing next to three other men I didn't know. He wasn't wearing a suit like he'd worn before, instead he wore a white t-shirt tucked into a pair of black work pants. He gripped a black uniform shirt in his hand.
     "Miss Sorenson. It's good to see you up." Mr. Blackbourne says. A millimeter smile tugging at the corner of his perfect mouth. His steely eyes melted to a warm silver. "Let me introduce you to some friends of ours. They helped us recover you tonight." He points first to a man who was a few years older than himself and dressed similar to him. His shiny black hair was pulled into a low ponytail. "This is Mr. Toma", the man nodded to me in greeting.
     Mr. Blackbourne then pointed to the next man. He was about the same age as Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green. He had two different colored eyes; one green, the other blue. His hair was long on top and cut stylish and short on the sides. "This is Mr. Weiland." He nodded to me at his name.
     Lastly, he introduced an older man with white hair and age spots. He has a warm smile. "This is Dr. Roberts." Instead of nodding like the other two men, Dr. Roberts walked up to me and extended his hand to me. I grasped his warm palm, his grip was soft but confident. His eyes twinkled with his smile.
     "Hello Miss Sang. It is a pleasure to meet you."
     "Thank you, Dr. Roberts. It's wonderful to meet you too." I look from him to the other two men and then back. "Thank you all for helping." The other two nodded again but Dr. Roberts continued to grasp my hand drawing my attention back to you.
     "I believe Mr. Blackbourne has mentioned our school to you," Dr. Roberts says and I nod. "He's told me about your unique situation and some of your special skills and interests. If you are open to it, I'd like talk to you about joining us."
     "Joining you?" I asked.

     "Miss Sang, I'd be honored if you'd join the Academy."