Chapter Four(Family)

Gregory White (Father of Enomis and Simone)

  Enomis was furious. She threw the locket at the ground, shaking with anger. "That thing reeks of dark magic. What have you given me, Father?"

  "You're 17, and I think it's time I give you something to protect yourself with," I say softly. "It takes away the magic of another magic bearer. It doesn't do any harm."

  She stiffened, glaring at me. Realization shone in her eyes, and her face turned red. "This isn't to protect me from thieves or robbers, is it?" She clenches her fists. "This is to protect me from Simone and Kyle."

  I want to lie to her, but I know that she deserves better. Instead, I just nod my head. "Those two are dark, Enomis. If the darkness takes control of them, it won't matter that you share the same blood. They will use you, and they will threaten you." 

  She stills, and never in my life have I seen her look so angry. "Simone is your flesh and blood, Father. Why can't you love her? She pretends she doesn't want your love, or your approval, but I know that she craves it like every child does. I see the way she looks at my letters, and I've seen the way you've talked to her. It's like...  she's a stranger!" she spat, the fire burning in her eyes. "I've seen the way the Darkness tempts her, but cannot you see that she is strong? She fights it with every ounce of her will. And she is so selfless, Father. She has never asked for anything, and all she does is give. She doesn't cheat, she doesn't lie. Why?" 

  I want to lie, I want to say that I don't. She needed to know. Instead, I meet her dark eyes, and I say quietly, "I love her as much as I love you." 

  I can see the surprise in her eyes, the shock and the curiosity. "But..." 

  "She reminds me too much of Emma," I whisper, more to myself than to Enomis. The way she moved, with a certain gracefulness like that of a cat's. Her eyes, filled with wonder for the world, and the way she asked questions. Her love for knowledge. The way she spoke, quietly, pronouncing every syllable carefully. The way she seemed to never give up, her perseverance. It was too much like Emma. 

  The pain came back, and it was like only yesterday that she had left me. We were mates, the other half of the other. When we touched, there was sparks that were just so magical. She filled me with Ecstasy and happiness, and I would have done anything for her. She had promised me that she would never leave me, that we eternity together. 

  Enomis's face softened, and she hugged me. "I'm sorry Father. I didn't mean to bring up Mother. But Simone isn't Mother." 

  "I know," I reply. "I do love her... but please, Enomis. Take the locket," I wave my hand, and it is back on her neck. Her hand immediately goes to her neck, and she grips the pendant tightly, as if she wanted to tear it off and burn it. 

  "My brother turned dark, and when he did, nothing mattered anymore. Just please... just in case." 

  She purses her lips. "Only if you let me visit Simone today, Father. It's her birthday too."

  She must sense her discomfort, and she shakes her head. "I won't tell her about the marriage." 

  "Okay," I give my permission reluctantly. "Only for a day, Enomis. Be back by morning." 

Emma's POV

  Vengeance destroyed me. 

  The thought makes me want to vomit, but instead I try to focus on my book. They had their own magic in Vivens... it was called Science. It didn't seem as powerful as the spells and enchantments that Gregory casted, but it certainly was unique and interesting. My thoughts shifted back to Enomis and Simone, my little girls. I wanted to go back and hold them to my bosom, to sing them lullabies and tuck them into bed. I wondered how they looked like now. I wondered if they had already found their mates. I remembered the joy I had felt when I had found Gregory, the love and almost all consuming passion. It was magical, every second we spent together. The trail of sparks his touch left in it's wake. 

  I wanted to curl up in a corner and cry, but instead I close my eyes and try to compose myself. I had to be strong. I could not go back and destroy his life. I couldn't drag him down along with me. I was a fake, a phony. 

  I wasn't even suppose to be mated to him. I had fought so hard to keep him away, and he had tried to stay away. But we couldn't fight the growing attraction that wore both of us down. He thought I was a white witch, a bastard from one of the clans. He knew something was wrong the moment he saw me, but he was patient. My throat tightened, and tears threatened to spill at the thought. 

  He didn't know that I was a troll. 

  How could he, anyway? His trust had blinded him. 

  My entire family, with exception of Katherine and I, were slaughtered by a band of royal brats. King David and all his kin. I had watched from a corner as they tore out the necks of everyone I loved, drinking deeply, and I had swore to myself, as blood ran down their chins, that I would find a way to make them scream in agony. That I would make them pay for what they did, with their lives. 

  I smirk, a sense of satisfaction flowing through me. I had spared some of them, but the others... I had made them scream and beg me for mercy, before burning them alive. I had watched them bleed, made them watch what I did to their loved one before moving on to them. I especially liked those who were mated. They cried the most, and the look on their faces were simply beautiful. I had inflicted the pain they had done unto me and returned it tenfold. 

  Was it all worth it? the questions bounces up and down in my head. To sacrifice your mate and children for revenge? 

  I tell myself that to stop asking ridiculous questions. I had spent my entire life plotting revenge. It was worth it. 

  But I wasn't so sure. 

  "Emma," a soft voice interrupts me from my thoughts, and Katherine is standing in front of me. 

  "Did you get it?" I ask. 

  "I did as you asked," she replied, but there wasn't something quite right about her tone. She looked troubled, and I send her a questioning look. 

  "You should go back, Emma." she places the woven basket on the table. "Your revenge is finished. You have no reason to stay in Vivens anymore. They aren't searching for you anymore, and no one even suspects that you were involved. You have a family! A mate, who loves you very much. Come back to Mortuus with me."

  I refused to even think about the option. "I cannot risk our safety. If the vampires find out what I did... there will be consequences." 

  She sighs. "I've known you from young. The brave and fearless warrior, who did not step down from any challenge. And yet... here you are, running. You are afraid, not for your safety, but of rejection," she shakes her head, disgusted. "I thought you were better than that, Iskast." 

  "Do not call me by my name," I growl angrily. "It's Emma." 

  "I can call you whatever I want," she replied calmly. You forget what you used to hold dearest to you once, and I hope that this name will bring to your senses, Iskast." 

  She left, slamming the door behind her. I close my eyes, trying not to think about what she had just said. 

  I was strong. I didn't have to listen to her. Yet as the sunlight streamed through the windows, I was reminded of the infamous Iskast, the young troll who had failed to protect her family and ended her life by going into human sunlight, turning her into stone. 

  I outstretched my fingers, tempted to touch the sunlight which lay a mere inches away from me. Then I stopped midway, dropping my hand immediately, my gaze on the small packet of fairy dust. I pick it up gingerly, as if afraid that it might scald my fingertips.

  Katherine was wrong. I wasn't a coward, and the small packet of fairy dust proved it. 

  "Soon," I whispered to myself. "Soon.'