Chapter 17

Sasha's attention snapped back to the two. The very suggestion robbed her of her voice in shock. 

She glared at Yenni and swallowed hard. "How dare you! We are not lab rats to be put through mazes and dissected! We are living, breathing, thinking creatures worthy of respect."

"And they speak," Yenni added.

"Of course they speak. You've heard plenty of evidence of their ability to communicate," the bear said.

Yenni pulled a flat tablet next to him, touching it precisely with small front paw finger. "Communicate? Jabber incoherently is more like it. Whatever. They are your field, Nanuk. You deal with them."

Sasha turned her attention to the bear. "Nanuk? Is that your name?"

The bear sighed, shifting on his stool. "Close enough. You are not capable of pronouncing my true name."

"Good. Hello, Nanuk. My name is Sasha Neeley and this is Zach Callahan. If you would, we would like a safe way to get to our snow machine and allowed to leave. Without robots firing at us."

"Firing?" Yenni repeated, looking up from a thin object laying flat on the counter.

"The security-bots are active," Nanuk said.

"Oh, wonderful. The Admiral's small-minded security force have their weapons out." He smacked a paw against the pad. "Work, you stupid thing. What is wrong with the systems tonight?"

"You are both cubs," Nanuk noted. He picked up a flat tablet like the one Yenni was using. "Very interesting. Are you at your rebellious stage?

"A way out," Sasha reminded, choosing not to answer the question which most likely would have included her suggesting that he ask her older brother. She pointed to the door, "We didn't ask to be dropped in here. We only want to go home."

Nanuk set the tablet aside. "Of course. Pardon me. The possibilities excited me so. I shall take you topside. Yenni?"

"Don't look at me. The Admiral is still mad at me for bringing the samples in." Yenni slapped the tablet again, "And why? Is it not my field of study? Was it not already dead? Did I not follow all protocols including decontamination?"

"All except asking his exact permissions."

"He can kiss my—"

"So, tell me young Sasha," Nanuk interrupted so quickly that Sasha had to smother a laugh. "How is it you fear our robots and not me? I understand I look much like a predator of your world."

"A polar bear," Sasha automatically supplied. She cocked her head at him. "And polar bears don't talk, walk continually on their hind legs, or wear clothes or toolbelts. Besides, the robots felt threatening. I don't get that feeling off of you."

The edges of Nanuk's long mouth curved upwards. "Very observant. And you successfully suppressed your urge to flee or scream, unlike your friend. I am impressed."

"Zach is new to Alaska and doesn't know polar bears only live further north," Sasha said, looking over to Zach to give him an apologetic look.

Only Zach was no longer behind her.

"You have a television?" Zach said from somewhere to the left.

Zach stood at the end of the counter on the other side of the room from Yenni. In front of him was a big old-fashioned television still in its wood cabinet with wires leading away from the back of it. Through the static moving across the screen a sitcom silently played with no sound. All in black and white.

"Ah, yes. To further my studies," Nanuk said. "I found it abandoned in a cabin rotting away. It has been most helpful."

"You are studying humans from our entertainment?" Zach asked, scratching an ear.