Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Claire awoke as Ms. Sylvia, the headmistress, threw her starched white covers off of her, interrupting one of the best dreams she had had for the longest time. It was about her father, running towards her, apoligizing for leaving her.

Perhaps it was another sign.

Ms. Sylvia was a strict woman in her mid sixties. Her hair was always done in a tight bun, which were paired with large, circular brown earrings.  

"Claire, please get ready to go. Pack your things and brush your teeth. I'll wait for you below the staircase. Get ready in five minutes," said Ms. Sylvia, her voice stiff, then turned on her heel and walked briskly away. 

Claire sat up, now fully alert. Did her wish come true? Had her father come back to finally bring her  home? 

Wasting no time, she hurriedly threw on her very best outfit: skinny jeans and a nice clean white blouse, then ran to the bathroom. Brushing her teeth, she started dumping the rest of her belongings into her small duffel bag, which wasn't much. 

Now finished packing, she threw her brush into the bag as well, and started yanking a comb through her messily  knotted hair. Today was her lucky day. It seemed as if her hair actually wanted to cooperate with her.

She dashed down the staircase, not bothering with the rails, and met Ms. Sylvia, her heart racing.

"Claire, I'd like to introduce you to..."

Jumping with excitement, Claire ran straight towards the man and yelled,"Daddy!"

"Looks like some one is excited," said her "father." Claire quickly released her tight and loving hug. The man's voice was too deep and scratchy to be her father's, unless he went through puberty again, which she highly doubted. As she slowly looked up, she realized the man didn't have her father's face either. He had greasy black hair and a stubble growing on his chin. His breath stank of alcohol. 

Ms. Sylvia looked mystified by Claire's sudden outburst. Ms. Sylvia knew she was the shy, quiet type.  Shaking her head, Ms. Sylvia cleared her throat, then restated her introduction. "Claire, I'd like you to meet Mr. Smith. He was ever so generous enough to adopt you and he will be your guardian until you turn eighteen." 

Claire stared at the man. This wasn't her father. What happened to her wish? 

"Come on, lets go Cindy. It's a long ride back home," Mr. Smith said cheerfully.

Claire frowned at the man. Her name wasn't Cindy. It was Claire. 

"I don't want to go," she stated adamantly. If she moved, she might never have a chance to see her father again. 

"Of course you do," he replied with a little more force.

"No. I am waiting for my father to come back," Claire retorted defiantly. 

"You are not! I am now your legal guardian, so come along!" thundered Mr. Smith as he almost shoved Claire outside the building.

Claire stubbornly sat down on the hard gravel, crossing her arms. 

Mr. Smith crouched down to Claire. "Listen kid," he said, turning around to make sure Ms. Sylvia wasn't there,"we are going to that car one way or another. So get up and go!" 

Claire kept her ground.

Mr. Smith's face turned a dark shade of red. His thick eyebrows furrowed into an arched uni brow. Then he raised his arm, and all of a sudden, a flash of pain ran across Claire's cheek. She had never felt physical pain in her life, only emotional.