Chapter Five

I had woken early the following morning. 

We'd gone to sleep late last night after watching the replay of the opening ceremonies broadcast.

I'd looked foolish - squinting against the sun and awkwardly fidgeting in the chariot. I'd nearly toppled right over a few times and the commentators got a good laugh at that. I'd gotten noticeably more comfortable but it still got a chuckle out out of them. 

Yet, we'd gotten a decent amount of airtime and I was relieved at that, at least. There had to be at least one person willing to sponsor District 10, right?

Well, maybe until I managed to get a low score in training. Sure, I was a decent knife thrower but I'd probably still manage to be the first person to get a negative training score.

I found my reaping clothes, panflute and all, folded neatly and washed at the foot of my bed.

I gently brushed my fingers over them. But I wasn't going to put them on - today was the first training session.

The mandatory red and black training outfit was also at the foot of my bed and I felt the odd, stretchy material of them.

But I left it there, for now, at least, as I slipped out of my quarters and into the dining room.

It was early, I knew, so I didn't expect anyone to be up but there Levi was, an untouched plate of food in front of him.

If I thought I hadn't gotten a good night sleep, he looked like a train wreck.

His hair was a mess on top of his head and he had dark circles under his eyes.

He was staring down at his plate with such a desperate, hopeless look that it startled me.

I took a step backwards to move away but his head jerked up and the expression abruptly slid off of his face and he raked a hand quickly through his hair as he looked at me.

"You're up early," He observed in a calm, measured tone.

"Couldn't sleep," I murmured back, still debating between darting back to my room or staying.

I decided on staying. Mostly because I was hungry.

I slipped in to the seat across from him warily.

I was devouring a plate piled with vegetables and meat, of which I'd never tasted anything as good and proceeded to stuff myself until I remembered I'd be seeing the other tributes face to face in only a few hours and the thought was enough to make me set down my fork.

I picked at my food after that before gathering the courage to ask Levi a question.

"Why do you still go back?"

He looked up at me in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Your ranch. You still go back. You take care of them, don't you?"

Now he looked even more surprised and I worried that I was being too personal. "How do you know that?"

"The animals," I replied with a shrug. "They aren't dead."

He tilted his fork in my direction.

"Oh," He said, nodding as if this made sense. "A brilliant observation you've no doubt made in one of your many excursions to steal my horses."

Now that the initial shock had worn off, I only snorted.

"It was only one," I corrected. "And I always returned him."

I vaguely wondered if he thought this was some sort of revenge, me being reaped and all.

"You're the horse racer," He finally said. It wasn't a question or an accusation but a fact.