Chapter Seven; The Voice

October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. Her Pepperup Potion worked instantly, though it left the drinker smoking at the ears for several hours afterward. Ginny, who had been looking pale, was bullied into taking some by Percy. The steam pouring from under her vivid hair gave the impression that her whole head was on fire.

Raindrops the size of bullets thundered on the castle windows for days on end; the lake rose, the flower beds turned into muddy streams and Hagrid's pumpkins swelled to the size of garden sheds. Oliver Wood's enthusiasm for regular training sessions, however, was not dampened which was why June's brother wasn't found in Gryffindor Tower late one stormy Saturday afternoon a few days before Halloween.

Inside the common room, June, James, Ginny and Maribelle sat on the squishy, comfortable armchairs and couch. They sat comfortably in front of the warm fireplace chatting lazily, their laughter mingling with the other bustling of the Gryffindor common room. June's smile radiated genuine happiness making her smile infectious.

"So bored," June laughed, lazily lying her head over the back of the couch.

"Are we boring you?" James lightheartedly teased.

"What? No, I just miss going outside,"

"Why don't we play a game?" Maribelle suggested.

The four pulled out a deck of cards and started to play a game of Exploding Snaps. Again there chattering and laughter mingled with the rest of the bustle of the Gryffindor common room. the small noises of the exploding cards were unheard over the chatter of the other Gryffindor students.

After a long while, Harry returned to the common room drenched in mud and muck and was soaked to the bone. He hurried up to the boys' dormitories to presumably change. June was confused about how Harry had managed to get so muddy when Quidditch was a game you play in the sky. When Harry came back down, he waved her over.

"A deathday party?" said Hermione keenly, as June joined them. "I bet there aren't many living people who can say they've been to one of those — it'll be fascinating!"

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" said Ron, who was halfway through his Potions homework and grumpy. "Sounds dead depressing to me. . . ."

"I would assume a deathday part would be like a birthday party. Ghost would celebrate their deathday like how we would celebrate our birthdays. They probably find it an accomplishment, for each year they're still in the live realm. " June informed the other ginger.

The rain was still lashing the windows, which were now inky black, but inside all looked bright and cheerful. The firelight glowed over the countless squashy armchairs where people sat reading, talking, doing homework or, in the case of Fred and George Weasley, trying to find out what would happen if you fed a Filibuster firework to a salamander. Fred had "rescued" the brilliant orange, fire-dwelling lizard from a Care of Magical Creatures class and it was now smouldering gently on a table surrounded by a knot of curious people.

Harry was at the point of telling June, Ron, and Hermione about Filch and the Kwikspell course when a salamander suddenly whizzed into the air, emitting loud sparks and bangs as it whirled wildly round the room. June watched the sight of Percy bellowing himself hoarse at Fred and George, the spectacular display of tangerine stars showering from the salamander's mouth, and its escape into the fire, with accompanying explosions.

By the time Halloween arrived, Harry was openly regretting his rash promise to go to the deathday party.

"A promise is a promise," Hermione reminded Harry bossily."You said you'd go to the deathday party."