Chapter 4 : Receiving Her Burden

By now, the crowd had gotten bored with the hanging, and was starting to file out.

   "C'mon, hurry it up a little!" the smug man yelled at the two other men, one of which had whipped the girl before. She still lay limply on the ground as one man replaced her noose with a long black chain. He jerked the chain up, but she didn't move. And when she didn't respond when they kicked and prodded her with their feet, the second man brought out the whip once again and started slashing at her back, not acknowledging Elizabeth; who was half crying while threatening that her father would arrest their business, being held back by Will.

Finally, after the girl had not responded at anything, the first man grabbed the end of the chain and easily pulled her by her neck, starting head-first down the wooden steps that lead up to the stage.

Will still easily held Elizabeth back, who attempted, much unlike her usual nature, to spit and swear at the men through clenched teeth. Finally, the girl tumbled down the rest of the way, and fell still at Elizabeth's feet. Will removed the chain, and easily, but gently picked up the light girl in his arms. She lay there, limp.

With a sneer and a shake of his head, the big man in the suit walked off behind the stage and disappeared.

   *                    *                   *                   *                    *                       *                    *                       *

Ten minutes later, Elizabeth and Will found themselves in the back of a wooden, flatbed trailer amongst crates and boxes of fruit. Unbeknowst to the driver though, who drove his little roan horse toward the docks. Exactly where Elizabeth and Will wanted to go.

It was silence between them, until Will spoke, looking at the limp girl in Elizabeth's lap. "I wonder what Jack will do."

   "Well, it's just another person, he'll probably like her, and if she- when she gets better, she could help work on deck." Elizabeth said, reassuring herself.

   "You bought a practically dead girl for fifty pounds, Elizabeth-"

   "She's NOT dead," she said protectively, as she shifted the bloodied girl in her lap. "I can feel her heart beat."

Neither said any more, as they bounced through the harbor town in the back of the trailer.

    *                          *                      *                     *                     *                           *                            *

   "Fifty pounds! For what? For a dead....er, miniature person." Jack tried to yell, though he wasn't the type to do that. Captain Jack Sparrow was more like the type that drank rum all day, and got into trouble. He wore a red bandana on top of his dark dreadlocks, was tatooed all over and had beads and feathers in his hair. He had dark, sun damaged skin, and smelled...well, smelled like a pirate.

   "Jack," Elizabeth said calmly, " when she gets better, she'll be able to work for you-"

   "BUT.." Jack continued, not hearing Elizabeth, " since you're one of my best crew members, and maybe the... miniature will be able to work for me when she gets better-"

Elizabeth stiffled a smirk.

   "-she is welcome aboard the Black Pearl."