{ eight }

"I need to pee."

Teigan looked over her shoulder at her boyfriend, raising her eyebrows at him. "Really? Our friends are lost, Luke. They could have been taken, and you're worried about finding a bathroom?"

"Sorry," Luke shrugged sheepishly. "It's been hours since I went, and I'm only human. Besides, just because we're in a stressful situation doesn't mean that my bodily functions are okay with being ignored."

Teigan rolled her eyes and pointed at the corner on their left hand side, waving him off as to tell him to get it over with already. She pulled her phone from the back pocket of her jeans, checking for any new messages. Hoping for new messages, really. Since they had vanished, she'd sent her friends dozens of texts, but none of them were replying. She'd tried to ring them, too. The first few times it rang, but no one picked up. After a while her calls didn't go through at all, a disconnected tone audible each time she tried.

Using her phone's flashlight, she shone the light into the dark corridors of the abandoned asylum. Each time, she hoped one of her friends would appear as quick as they had vanished, but her luck in locating them was just as bad as it had been when she would try to contact them.

"Shouldn't we just go look for them?" Luke's voice called out from behind her.

"And what? Get lost, too?" Teigan asked. Of course the thought of looking for them had crossed her mind multiple times, but something inside her was telling it'd be a mistake, that she should stay put, and she was going to trust her instincts. Besides, there was still a possibility that they weren't alone in the building and she had no intention to find out, or cross paths with whomever could be out there.

"It doesn't feel right to just wait here doing nothing." Luke's voice sounded much closer this time. He'd walked over to where Teigan was standing, shining an extra light into the corridor in front of them. "What if something has happened to them?" He asked.

"I hope not," Teigan answered. "But if it has, I'm not planning on having the same thing happen to us, too." She was aware of how selfish that sounded, but it was the truth. If something bad had actually occurred out there, there probably wasn't much they could do about it anyway. She figured there was no point in putting themselves in danger as well.

"They're our friends," Luke spoke softly. His voice was barely above a whisper. He didn't even want to think about what could have happened to them while they were out there by themselves.

"I know, but babe, just think about it. What if there's like a kidnapper, or worse, a killer out there? They're bound to have weapons, and we've got nothing but our phones and bare hands. We don't stand a chance against them. How could we help anyone if we get hurt ourselves?"

Luke shook his head, not wanting to believe a single word of what his girlfriend was saying. "No. No, don't talk like that. They'll be okay, and they'll come back to us. They have to. It's a huge building, they probably just got lost trying to find each other, or us."

"Maybe we should just come back when it's light again and if they're not back yet by then, look for them in broad daylight."

As the words left Teigan's mouth, neither she or Luke could believe she had just suggested such a thing. Teigan looked apologetic, immediately feeling bad about it. She was a good friend, but she was scared and confused, and she just wanted to feel safe and warm. She wrapped her arms around her chest and rubbed her arms, suddenly feeling much colder than she'd done before.

"I refuse to leave my friends behind. Our friends," Luke spoke firmly.

"I'm sorry," Teigan replied quietly and took a step forward, her arms reaching out to her boyfriend who pulled her onto his body. "I didn't mean it like that. I just want to be safe. I want everyone to be safe," she spoke again and rested her head against his chest.