*~ Prologue ~*

The hypothermia got the best of me.  I collapsed in the snow, my head hitting the abandoned road that lay beneath me, feeling the scrape of gravel against my skull.  I became dizzy, buzzes filling my head.  My hair was soaked from the slush and blood as I lost consciousness and sight.  The cold made me numb, yet I felt no pain.  A small snowflake hit my cheek and it didn't melt.  It glued itself to my pale skin. Was that how icy I was? My body heat was gone, a protective shield of cold glaze instead of warm skin.

It began to snow lightly. Small snowflakes dropped from the sky, with their intricate patterns falling delicately on my eyelashes, cheeks, lips, fingers, the grass that began to die from the cold beside me.  I couldn't spot their patterns, their lattices of ice, when they hit the ground. They would turn to a puddle of water, blending and mushing together into grey slush.

I knew it was time to go.  I had been fighting when I didn't need to.  My black hair was fanned all over my head, turning dark crimson from the blood.  I started blinking to clear tears and looking up at the sky.  It was sunset.  The sky turned into a mixture of flamingo pink, blood orange, violet.  I reached for the sky, pulling my limping arm up above my head.  I took in the sunset and pretended to touch it.  What would it be like to touch those colors, be one with the sky? One can only imagine. Maybe I'll know soon.  My body was too tired to continue on the thought.  My arm dropped, sending pain throughout my body, like being electrocuted with lightning.  I knew it was time, I knew, I knew.  I considered taking a deep breath, trying to yell for aid, gasping for breath at each word. I tried, but there was no point at all in the endeavor. I lost air and started sputtering.  I calmed myself and I kept staring to the sky.  There was no point in calling for someone to bring me somewhere, anywhere but here, where my body blended with the snow and Earth, just to prolong my already long-dead life.  

I was buried under the snow. Snow pounded into the Earth, demanding to be felt.  My eyes closed.  My chest stilled.  I fall asleep.  I don't wake up.