Chapter 37- The dreaded visit part 2

Eve's POV 

After Kay left I sigh and lean back into the couch, looking at the Officer and 2 other people. “Alright, you were saying?” I ask Officer Trent. He blinks and looks at me “Ah well uh…like I said, she isn’t old enough to live here alone but uh I can see her..uh attachment to this house is very strong” he say with a small smile. I nod slightly in agreement. 

“I can try to talk to her about it. Its just an attachment disorder. Well its not really a disorder but its common in kids around her age. They become to attached to certain things or people or work hard to stay unattached to things or people so that they don’t get hurt. Its simple enough to convince her to let the house go, it is just a house” Ms. Smith speaks up a light smile on her face.

That bitch did not just say what she did. I glare at her slightly “Your services will not be needed at all. You can leave a business card or whatever but you can go now” I say, politely kicking her out. I could tell from the start that Kay hadn’t wanted her here. I’d stayed neutral and done nothing but she doesn’t understand how much this home means to Kay and she never will.

Ms. Smith just blink and looks at me, not to happy looking either. I smile slightly “Shall I walk you to the door or can you find it yourself?” I ask smiling at her pleasantly. She huffs and hands me her card and walks out, rather pissed off. I toss the card aside and turn to Officer Trent and Rick.  

I pause and study Rick for a moment “So, Rick. Who are you really? Any friend of Jane would know she wasn't exactly the greatest person” I state looking him dead in the eye. He smiles “But I know her as a good person so as far as I’m concerned, she's a good person” he says with a slight shrug. I glare at him “Even still, who are you?” I press, not liking him at all. 

“I am just an…acquaintance of Jane” he says after a moment. I grunt “Well then you can go to, you aren’t family. What we talk about here doesn’t concern or have to do anything with you. You can go now, leave a card or whatever if you like. Do I have to show you the door or can you find it yourself like Ms. Smith?” I answer with smooth coldness. 

Rick blinks and looks at me, slightly stunned for a moment before standing and handing me a sheet of paper that had his info and such on it. “No, I can find it myself. Have a good day now” he says as he leaves. I say nothing until I hear the door close shut and a car engine drive away. 

I nod to myself, satisfied now and turn to Officer Trent. “You do realize, she will fight with everything she has to keep living in this house. She loves it here despite the many bad memories she may have, it is her home and there are good memories that come with this house. Why don’t we work some arrangement out so that she can both be under a legal guardian/protection and be able to stay here” I offer with a smile. 

Officer Trent smiles and nods “Yes, I was thinking about that a bit after her outburst earlier” he says shrugging slightly. I nod and smile sheepishly “Yeah, sorry about that. This is really hard on her” he just waves his hand, brushing it aside “Don’t worry, I’ve dealt with worse. Based on what I picked up about you and her, you guys are really close?” he asks me. 

I nod “Yessir we are. We’ve know each other since I think we were 8 and 9. Now we’re 16 and 18, well she’ll be 17 in a couple days….” I answer stopping suddenly. Her birthday was soon. Was that why her mom was coming home? I shake my head slightly and smile “But yeah, I’ve been with her through everything..” I murmur smiling. 

Officer Trent smiles again “Well from what I gather, she’s kinda lived here by herself already due to her mother not really being home, right? And you act like a mother to her and such so I figured, why not let things stay the way they are. But I’ll have to file papers and say she’s under someones guardianship. Who should I put down for that?” he asks. 

I stare at him, quite surprised by this actually, I honestly had expected him to continue to say no to this whole home situation. I smile gratefully at him “Thank you for understanding and I want to say myself or my mom but I want to talk to her about it first” I answer. He nods “Alright, do you think she’s okay to talk a bit now?” he inquires, glancing behind me probably wondering where she went. 

I shrug “I can go find and ask her. In the mean time, would you like anything to eat or drink?” I say, not actually sure where she had gone. He pauses “Just some water is fine by me. I need to grab the papers from my car with all the papers. It has the documents that will say who becomes her legal guardian for now as well as extra information about the accident that she may or may want to hear. Along with those are the burial and funeral arrangements and such. Oh and there’s a will her mom left” he says. 

I nod, slightly surprised to hear there was a will left to read. I nod and stand “Alright, I’ll get you some water and leave it on the table here then get Kay while you get the papers” I say. He nods and gets up, walking out to his car while I walk to the kitchen. 

I get a water bottle and set it out for him and stand there, thinking for a moment. I get some cookies out and set them out for anyone who wanted them. I nod to myself then turn to head upstairs, wondering in Kay was in her room. Her door was open though and as I stuck my head in, I saw no signs she’d stepped into her room since this morning. 

I frown slightly and walk down the hall, poking my head into the 2 extra rooms and her moms room briefly, calling her name each time but don't find her. I sigh and walk downstairs, looking around some more. “Kaylee? Where the heck are you!” I call. I swear, if that girl ran off in the middle of all this…

I walk past her moms office as I come down the stairs and to the kitchen. I blink and stop, looking over my shoulder again. The door was open a bit, it wasn’t like that earlier. I raise an eyebrow, was Kay in there already? Well, there was only one way to find out and with that I turn around and walk over to the work office.

I knock lightly and get no answer. I sigh and push the door open slightly and look in. The lights were off and as i remember, the place was a huge mess. But as I looked around, it seemed like the place was even messier. It looked like someone had gone through it, tossing papers around here and there.

I blink again “Kay? You in here?” I call stepping into the room. Still no answer. I frown slightly, where the heck was that girl? I hear footsteps out back where the den was. I sigh and leave the room to tell Officer Trent that I had no idea where Kay was at the moment. I guess I could go ahead and talk a bit more about living and such, just to get the details.