|| Mavericks ||

Peinture et amour

{Avalon}

Avalon’s gaze shifted from the shop window to the sidewalk before her. Pushing her rain-soaked locks out of her face, she entered the small room. She unbuttoned her navy peacoat and hung it on a coat hook. Wrapping her arms around herself, she stepped farther into the art supplies. Her heart beat echoed in her ears, her eyes scanning the labels which stated the brand and color name of the paint. She grabbed a few bottles, placing them in the crook of her arm. Tucking a few brushes behind her ear, she stepped up to the cashier and placed all of the items on the counter. The corners of his mouth flipped up into a smile as she pulled out her wallet. She quickly paid for the items, eager to begin her next painting. She grabbed the paper bag and held it close as she draped her coat over her shoulders. She stepped into the rain once more, grateful that it was now drizzling rather than pouring.  Her feet hit the ground swiftly as she wove in between the people lining the sidewalk. Dodging a few umbrellas, she stepped under the awning before entering her small studio. She sat the bag down and headed to her collection of blank canvases. She flipped through the white fabric until she found the correct size. It was five feet wide, seven feet tall. She grabbed it from the bottom, allowing it to lean against her body as she carried it to the easel. She pulled her auburn ringlets into a loose ponytail, holding a paintbrush between her teeth. Dispensing some paint onto a palette, biting the corner of her lip as she eyed the canvas. What to paint.. what to paint..? She dipped the brush into a deep earthy gray. With a quick motion, she swiped the brush across the fabric; leaving a smooth, gray curve. She continued dabbing and swiping, mixing colors and pushing hair out of her face. A confident chuckle escaped her lips as she stepped back to look at her work. She tilted her head ever so slightly, her pale blue eyes scanning over the piece. A satisfied smile spread across her lips as she looked at the creation. It seemed familiar somehow, the cabin in the woods. The cabin seemed aged, the trees around it were thick with foliage, the lake in the background sparkling. Her eyebrows narrowed slightly as she studied her work.  She bit the inside of her lip, pushing a few stray hairs behind her ear.

{Uriah}

His feet moved quickly across the pavement as he wove in between the mass of people lining the street. Uriah glanced down at his phone, furrowing his brow slightly at the sight of ten new messages. All from his sister. His incisors clamped down on the tender flesh of his cheek as he continued on quickly as possible towards a tall brick building- better known as his home. He tapped the button for the elevator, rocking on his heels as he waited for the door to open; a pathetic 'ding' sounded each time it reached a new floor. He grew impatient with the machine and took no time deciding whether or not to take the stairs. Growling slightly, he climbed the steep and winding staircase all the way up to the seventh floor. A scream rang through the corridor, followed by yet another. He swiftly unlocked the door to apartment room thirty-six and slipped inside. His gaze landed on his older sister- Adeline, who's eyes were clamped shut, her mouth parting as she screamed again. "Addy.." He murmured, wrapping his arms around her. "It's okay." He stroked her short blonde hair, smiling softly as she wrapped her arms around him. Adeline had a slight form of down syndrome, which required her to be cared for at all times. Uriah unwrapped his arms long enough to hand her a brown paper bag. "I got your favorite." The corners of his mouth turned up slightly, watching her pull out a pomegranate. She smiled widely, hugging him once more before standing up from the couch. He wiped the few tears off of her cheeks with his thumb before leading her into the kitchen. "Would you like to eat it now?" He asked, carefully taking the fruit out of her hand. A laugh escaped his mouth as she nodded quickly. He placed it on a cutting board, wincing playfully as the red juice splashed onto his shirt as he cut it. He scooped the small seeds out of the casing, placing them in a bowl. He placed a spoon inside and handed it over to her. A smirk edged on his lips as she happily scooped the red seeds into her mouth, smiling widely. He popped a few into his mouth before cleaning up the mess, wiping the juice off of the counter carefully with a wet rag. Raising an eyebrow slowly, he watched as she turned on the radio and began dancing to the alternative song. He took her hands as she extending them to him, flashing a wide smile. He copied her movements, their laughs ringing through the apartment. He loved his sister more than anything in the world, doing what ever he could to make her happy.