Part 1- Kyi

Part one- Kyi

I am redoing this story. It is being completely redone. Hopefully I will have it up soon.

......................

I sat on the edge of my bed tightly holding onto the fragile picture frame. One year had gone by in the blink of an eye. Three hundred and sixty-five day just gone and I still didn't know what to do. Each day a piece of my heart healed but it would take many lifetimes before every piece was back in its rightful place. Everything had been cleared from the room. The only thing I had left was the picture. Given as a gift by a human who lived in the town around us.

They all believed the lie about what had happened. It was so easy to convince them that it had been a car accident. That Damon had gone up north to see an aunt and slid off the road. It had been almost to easy to lie to them. They accepted it with no thought. Then they came. One after the other all giving their condolences. All trying to make it easier with their words. Some brought gifts that meant little to any of us. While others simply said they were sorry.

The only gift I had kept came from a frail old woman. She didn't look as if she would live an other day. Her gray skin suggested she was one her death bed but for some reason she had to give me the picture. She hobbled up to me lightly taking my hand in hers and without a word handed me the frame. When I finally looked down my breath had been caught in my throat.

It was of us sitting on a bench as the sun set behind us. I remembered the day as if happened moments before. At the time it had seemed a pointless ritual that Kat, my sister, made us do. Once a week we would go into town and see one of the new human movies. That night it had been one about meaningless human love. I couldn't remember the movie but what happened after would always be one of the best memories.

We walked along the river, arm in arm, until we came to a bench. Damon pulled me into the seat wrapping his arms snuggly around me. The air was cool so it felt amazing to have his warmth. I leaned into him listening to his heart and the world around me. Everything melted together creating a symphony around us. The rush of the water, the hum of the vehicles and the loud laughs from a bar down the road.

We sat there holding each other for hours. The sun began to dip below the horizon and the street lights buzzed as they flicked on. I could have sat there forever if it was possible. Just him and me taking in the world around us. Nothing to end our happiness. It was a little piece of heaven right in the middle of the world.

"I don't want to move and ruin this moment." I looked up into his green eyes with a sigh of happiness. At that moment the world fell away. The sounds faded to nothing and it truly was just us. He was the center of my universe. My everything. "I wish there was a way we could keep it just like this forever."

"As long we're together this moment will never end." He kissed the top of my head as his words vibrated through me. I felt them more then I heard them. I smiled up at him as he lowered his head and lightly placed his lips to mine. That's how we were in the picture. Frozen in that perfect moment forever. Forever caught in a gentle kiss.

I had wept as the old woman released my hand and walked away. I pressed the frame to my heart letting my tears run like the river had that night. She could never understand what she had given me. She hadn't just handed me a photo that was beautiful. She had given me a moment I thought I would lose without him. That had been the first piece of my heart to scar over.

"Kyi." I looked up at Anax wiping the tears from my cheeks. I set the picture down next to me doing my best to cover it. The Powers had made it very clear that we were to remove everything that tied him to this world. I hadn't been able to destroy it. The thought had been unbearable. "Dinner's ready if you're hungry."