Chapter 3

That night I dreamed that I was sleeping on a very strong massage bed. The next thing I knew was Miranda shaking me awake. “We’re under attack. Something is firing at us from the rear. Whoever it is hasn’t turned on their lights so they must be using night vision. Brandon is driving and he’s requested to speak with you.”

The camper was shaking very violently which must have been the source of my dream. The others where peering out the windows, guns in hand. I looked at the clock which read five a.m. I got up and walked over to the phone. 

Brandon, this is Jesse. You okay?”

Yeah, Emily and I are fine. Want to you recommend we do?”

Shut off the head lights then pull off the road wait a half a second then get back on the road and flip the lights back on.”

The trailer gave a lurch to the right sending everyone to the floor. I got back up and returned to the phone.

“We have two pursuit cars at our twelve o’clock neither one with headlights on.” Brandon said. 

“Alright have Emily take them out.” I responded. 

Just then the ceiling  hatch exploded and three men jumped down through it. I charged the first one and punched him in his gut. Or it would have hit his gut had he not blocked it and returned with a strike at my face which I somehow dodged. I managed to find a pistol laying on the floor. I picked it up and pointed it at the intruder. He quit fighting pretty fast. 

The lights turned on and we got a look at out attackers. Fortunately nobody was hurt. Kyle had one  pinned to the wall by the throat while Jonathan had another covered with a submachine gun. I got back on the phone with Brandon.

“One of the pursuit cars just exploded. Should we go check it out?” He asked.

“Negative, just put some distance between us and this place.” I replied.

“Roger that.”

We went through our attacker’s pockets and relieved them of any weapons they had on their person. Came up with a few pistols, a grenade or two, and some sticks of dynamite. We stashed them where we new we could use them. 

“What do we do with these guys?” Miranda asked. 

“Keep them as prisoners I suppose.” I replied, “Tie their hands and feet and keep them under constant watch. Does anyone know where we are?”

“According to the GPS I found in one of the drawers, we are just now entering California,” Mackenzie said. 

The radio phone went off just then. I picked it up. “Hey, if we don’t stop for gas any time soon we are going to be running on fumes,” Brandon said to me.

“Alright, fill up at the next truck at the next available area, but keep it as brief as possible. It would be nice to hit the Pacific by nightfall,” I said to him.

“Speaking of which, where on the coast do we want to go?”

Let’s head towards Los Angeles. That would probably be our best option.”

Seven minutes later, we pulled into a little town called “Pleasantville.” Funny how all of them seem to go by that name. We pulled into a little gas station. The station attendant looked a little skeptical at first but he accepted the money and the smile Emily gave him and filled up our tanks. Fifteen minutes later we where back on the Interstate. 

A short time later Brandon pulled over and Kyle took shotgun while Emily drove. The sun was just coming over the mountains in the east behind us. By noon L. A. was in sight.