Day - The Second - Part Two

Out in the corridors, Clarence and I walk through the busy corridors of building two. His hands were filled with textbooks, a small tower of stacked books just waiting to tumbled down. I, on the other hand was empty-handed beside him, hands stuffed in my pockets. I thought for a moment that I might help him, but we were going to go our separate ways soon. "You have math next, right?" I asked.

He nodded, a small smile touching his lips. I had the distinct impression that he was actually looking forwards to math class. "What will you do after class?" he asked.

"I think I'll just head in and get a bit more sleep." Or, I'd go wander around the shopping section of the academy and pick up a few essentials. I didn't need the whiz kid with me to do that.

At the next fork in the corridor we split, I waving my goodbyes while Clarence reshuffled his pile and avoided a near-fatal crash with some other student. I rolled my eyes while pulling out a folded map from inside my jacket. I studied it as I walked, letting it lead me to a nearby exit.

It was a rather nice day; sunny, with only some sparse clouds above and a small chill wind coming from the west. Not cold enough to freeze anyone, but I was still thankful for my jacket. Dozens of students were in the park, some sat on the benches, while a larger group tossed what looked like a metal frisbee and made a lot of noise while doing so. It was rather... peaceful. I was looking forward to when summer came around in full. Not only would it be warm for good, it also meant that short skirts would come around again.

My next class was in one of the auditorium-like classrooms in building three, one of the taller school buildings. I was just about to reach the tower when something caught my eye. I slowed to a stop.

In an alleyway between two buildings I saw five people milling about. At first glance it looked like a few students having fun, but something about their stances was wrong. Four of them were facing the fifth and she had her back pinned against the wall. No one was touching her, but I still had the impression that she did not want to be there.

I moved a little closer, trying to appear nonchalant about it.

"We know who you are," one of them said. He was taller than the rest by half a head, which meant that he towered above me. He had wide shoulders and stood with a straight-backed posture, as though lording it over the girl against the wall. His face was twisted in a sneer. The expression was a sharp contrast to those of his smiling friends behind him.

I recognized them all, if only in passing. They had been with me in gym class, and in the auditorium yesterday. I didn't know any of them by name. I would have to correct that, and soon.

"You know who I am?" The girl said. Her face twisted into a grin. "Good, then you should know that you shouldn't mess with me."

I couldn't see too much of her in the shadows of the alley. Her hair was cut short, not even reaching her shoulders, and I noticed that there was a streak of pink framing one side of her face. She was short, only coming up to the leader's chest.

"You can't do anything here, girl," the leader said. "Not in this school."

"If I can't do anything, then why are you so afraid of me?" She smiled up at him. Her voice was sweet and soft, very calm despite what was going on. Still, I thought that I could do something. I was an idiot.

"Hey!" I called out from the middle of the alley. Five pairs of eyes turned to me. "What's going on over here?" I tried to stand taller. I shoved both hands in my pockets as though there was nothing to worry about. If it came down to a fight I was screwed, but it might not come to that if I managed to cow them. Drama was one hell of a weapon, so was sheer, idiotic overconfidence.