The Kitten in the Alley

I awoke from a panicked state, it was raining heavily and a few slices of lightning would slice through the rain and drench my bedroom in bright white light. I got up and I groggily walked over to my window. I swear I could hear a small pitiful meowing coming directly below my window.  I pulled up my blinds slowly and sighed; the rain had  made it impossible to see through my window.  I opened my window and I pulled the screen out; I looked down and when the next crack of lightning went by overhead I saw among the bags of garbage and the sopping wet newspapers lay a small huddled shivering bundle underneath my window. I gasped and quickly shut my window and looked around for some pants and a shirt; I quickly found some black sweat pants and I grabbed a random shirt. I ran downstairs and quickly out the door; I didn't even realize I hadn't put on shoes until I had stepped onto the cracked side walk that was sopping wet and full of cold puddles. 

I ran towards the ally that was beside my house and with the help of the lightning over head I was able to locate where my window was and I felt around for the small shivering creature.

"Here kitty kitty..."

I quietly called; I heard a quiet almost inaudible mew from underneath a newspaper to my left. I carefully moved over to the newspaper and I lifted it barely able to see because of how dark it was and how hard the rain was pounding down but there lay a small frightened kitten. The poor thing was shivering and was scared half to death; the kitten was trying to hiss at me but it was too weak to make anything that remotely sounded like a hiss. I reached my hand forward and wrapped it around the starved body of the fragile kitten and I brought it to my chest.  The kitten nuzzled into my chest grateful for the warmth that was radiating from my chest.

I carefully got up and walked through the gross ally back to my warm house. When I reached my front door I pushed it open with one hand and I walked in; the small kitten wasn't shivering as bad but there was still an occasional shiver here and there. I grabbed a small hand towel from the bathroom and walked up the stairs and back into my bedroom. I set the small sleeping kitten on my bed as I went over to my dresser and grabbed a new dry shirt. I slipped off my soaking wet t-shirt and replaced it with the dry one; I pushed down my wet pants and I grabbed the towel and dried off my legs and found a pair of track pants. I slipped them on and then I shook out my hair, small water droplets splattered on the floor. 

I looked over to the kitten and I sighed poor thing couldn't be much older then a month if that. The lightning and thunder were still waging their war in the sky above us; but to the small sleeping kitten it seemed like nothing out of the ordinary. I slowly walked towards the door so that I could find the light switch. I kept walking slowly with my arms out stretched and then with the help of a big flash of lightning I found the switch; I flipped the switch up but nothing happened. I sighed softly and flipped the switch off since it seemed that the storm had knocked the power out. I walked to my bed defeated and sat on it slowly so that I would't frighten the kitten. The kitten was a calico colour and had really long fur... He was beautiful and I knew no matter what I would take the best care of him that I could. His fur was a light brown with patches of white and black and it had baby blue eyes that were currently closed as he slumbered. I sat on the edge of the bed and I pet the small creature; when I ran my hand over it's small fragile body I could feel it's ribs poking through but despite his rough condition the kitten was happily purring. I sighed poor baby.

I got up off the bed and grabbed the towel that I had earlier used to dry myself off and brought it back to the bed to dry off the kitten so he wouldn't get sick. I walked back to the bed towel in hand and I once again sat cross legged on the bed. I put the towel in my lap; I picked up the fragile kitten and placed it in my lap and wrapped its small body in the towel. It began to move somewhat so I gently soothed it by rubbing the towel over his body in slow strokes and I softly spoke.