Discovery

I pretended nothing had happened. I ignored Michelle and her crowd, which was hard given we ran track together. Chad also ran track, and we started becoming close again. I was falling for him,. I felt horrible about it because of John, but I had to move on and hoped John understood that.

Weeks passed. The track team was doing excellent. We won every meet we ran in. I was a 400 yard hurdler, and we were the best.

One night, after a huge victory that made us 10-0, Chad and I were going to the head coach's classroom to get the team bottled waters. It was late, and all the other teachers were long gone. And to make matters worse, our only sources of light were two small flashlights that were almost dead. We were talking while walking down the eery 500 hallway.

"Ashley, I have something to tell you." Chad told me shyly. He stopped.

I stopped too. "What is it, Chad?" I asked.

"I-I like y-you." he stuttered out. "I have since we first met."

"Oh, Chad." I sighed. "You've been an awesome friend."

"But there's a but coming isn't there."

"No, actually there's an and coming." I pushed my brown hair, with highlights of red, out of my face. Chad smoothed out the bottom of his blueberry track shirt that read Freeman in white. "Things have been hard since John died, but I'm healing."

"See I told you there was a but coming."

I laughed. "And, I'd like to be with you."

He relaxed. "Really?"

"Yes, really, Chad. I like you too."

"Great. So..."

"Oh, just kiss me already." And he did. We leaned up against the lockers and made out. But then, I flashed back to December 5th, and made him stop.

"We better go get those waters." I said, not telling him about the flashback.

"Yeah, we don't---"

BOOM!

"What was that!" I shrieked, even though I knew it was the loud double doors of the library, that should've been locked, just a few doors down. Like I said, we were alone in the school.

Soon after, the lockers started shaking. It started with just one, but it wasn't long before all of the lockers shook violently. They started opening one by one, with the locks still on them! Then, both our flashlights fluttered out.

"What's going on, Chad?" I screamed. I grabbed his arm with both of my hands. A dark figure appeared at the edge of the hall, which was also the end of the cafeteria. The shadow flew at us, but disappeared before it reached us.

"So, how about those waters?" Chad said, then started walking. I made him stop.

"Is there something you need to tell me, Chad?" I asked, frightened.

"Have you ever heard the tale of dead principal, George Freeman?"