Chapter Seven

SOPHIA’S P.O.V.

Honestly, I couldn’t believe Ethan felt that way. This whole time, that’s what he was doing and here I was thinking that he was just being Ethan. No, it was all because he thought he wasn’t forgiven. I have learned that I may have pretended to hate Ethan but, in reality, he was the best thing that ever happened to me. He gave me Avory and Serena, he gave me hope for a golden future, he gave me love and that’s all I wanted in life. I remember as a kid I would wish that someone would come along and sweep me off my feet, becoming my prince charming, and Ethan made that wish came true. And I thought he knew that… apparently not.

I couldn’t sleep, my back was acting up again, but it was much worse this time. Uncomfortable was too much of an understatement, I had to move to find the correct position but any movement hurt like hell. Plus, Ethan had his arm securely around me as he slept like a log. There was no way I could move his arm without waking him up and his worry about my back wasn’t exactly needed at the moment. Because he would say things like, “We need to take you to the doctor” and other things like that. It wasn’t serious, just a blown disk or something, a little rest would be needed. I could call my boss and tell her what was happening; she would surely give me these last three days before break.

But, nonetheless, I struggled to move my legs because I actually loved my job. And what if I became a paraplegic, stuck in a wheelchair all day? That wouldn’t be fun at all because Avory would be towering over me at the age of twelve!

Come on, I silently pleaded while squirming. And, much to my horror, I began rolling of the bed! I hadn’t realized that I was so close to the edge. If I had, I would have kept still but no I was falling off the bed. And, if you saw me, you would have laughed because, picture this; a girl flailing her arms while falling off the bed, slowly seeing the floor come into view. All I could do was close my eyes and wait for the floor to come and, oh, it came. It came pretty quick, greeting my nose with, “Hello!

“W−?” Ethan had woken up, noticing the sound of my body hitting the floor and I did take a majority of the blankets with me. The bed moved, telling me that he had gotten up and came to see what was going on. I don’t think he figured I fell of the bed, I think he thought I left the room or something because, when he rounded the bed, he looked out the door first. Then he turned around, seeing me on the floor. “Sophia?”

I grunted, “We’ve got a problem.” I held my hand out. “Can I get some help here.”

He took no time in coming over and clutching my hand, bringing me into his chest. “What the hell happened?” He placed his hand on my lower back and I winced, giving him a pretty good idea on what happened. On the Brightside, I could stand… I just couldn’t move my legs. Keep calm, I thought to myself. Don’t stress. Oh but I was stressing alright because the pain was on my spine, making me think there was something wrong with my spinal cord.

“Um,” I breathed. “I think we need to get to the hospital.” When I had thought Ethan was going to lead me to the garage where the car resided, he bent down and hooked his arm behind my knees. My feet were taken off of the ground and his breath cascade over my eyes and down his button up shirt. It’s funny how I just mentioned my prince charming and he unconsciously proved that he was the guy who saved me time and time again. And, with just this thought, I began to no longer feel as strong as I thought I could be. I was just a girl who thought she could fix everything who found out one night that my legs wouldn’t move. “Ethan,” I whimpered. “I’m scared. W- What if I can’t use my legs ever again or−?” Panic washed over me but for real this time. It got the best of my limbs and held them so tight that I began shaking. What was really going on with me? This was far more serious than a little irritation and stress.