The Fog (Short Scene)

Again, assignments from my Theater teacher last October. You won't get this at all if you haven't seen the movie The Fog (the old one) but I thought I would post it for kicks.

I posted two separate scenes. The first is the scene in which Andy and his babysitter first see the Fog and Andy's babysitter gets killed by the ghosts. This is straight out of the movie. -FO97

 (The Fog outside the windows quickly builds up in the background while Andy and Mrs. Kobritz talk. Suddenly a knocking begins on the door, very slow and rhythmic. Shocked, Andy and Mrs. Kobritz stand and don't speak as the knocking continues.)

Mrs. Kobritz: Go to your room, Andy.

Andy: What for?

Mrs. Kobritz: I said go to your room, Andy.

(The knocking persists.)

Andy: Can't I stay for just two more seconds?

Mrs. Kobritz: Go upstairs, right now!

(Andy begins his ascent to the top of the stairs, but stops and sits on a step to watch. Mrs. Kobritz opens the door and the knocking stops. Andy pauses to steal a few more seconds. Mrs. Kobritz turns to see him.)

Mrs. Kobritz: Andy! To you your room!

Andy: (resentfully) But I want to see who it is!

(Mrs. Kobritz gives Andy a demanding look.)

Andy: (resentfully) Fine, fine! Ok, I'm going.

 (Andy trudges forlornly up the stairs. Just as he closes his door there is a crash and Mrs. Kobritz abruptly disappears into the Fog, followed by grotesque sounds as she is killed. The camera skips to Andy who is sitting on his bed in his room. Before long, there is knocking on Andy's door as well.)

Andy: (scared) Mrs. Kobritz?

(The knocking turns violent and becomes louder.)

Andy: Mrs. Kobritz? Are you there?

(A hole is knocking in Andy's door and small chunks of wood are torn away.)

Andy: Mrs. Kobritz?!

(A hand appears in Andy's doorway and is about to grab him when Nick breaks through the window.)

Nick: Let's go, kid!

(Andy is too stunned to speak, but Nick picks him up.)

Nick: C'mon! We have to get out of here!

This is set just after Bennett leaves Father Malone's church and before the Fog actually makes an appearance. I made this one up completely.

You can tell its night by the lit streetlamp. A person is standing just on the edge of its glowing circle next to a beat up looking Datsun. He is rocking back and forth on his heels, fighting a losing battle against the cold. He keeps scanning the surrounding area, looking for someone. He is also holding a beat box in one hand that is set to Stevie's radio station. Finally, he appears to see something.

Figure 1: Jeez, Ben. What kept ya? Thought you'd never get here.

Bennett comes into view

Bennett: (shrugs) Father Malone kept me. All sorts of work to do, ya know?

Figure 1: Yeah, I guess. You work too hard.

Bennett: I need the money. You know that, Ryan.

Ryan: (chuckles)Don't we all?

Bennett: (shrugs again) Some more than others.

There is silence except for Stevie's voice across the radio. She is wishing Antonio Bay a happy 100th birthday. She goes on to say something else, but Bennett interrupts.

Bennett: Are you gonna take me home, or what? I'm cold.

Ryan: (irritated)Shut up! Didn't you hear that?

Bennett: Hear what?

Ryan: On the radio.

Both pause to listen to what Stevie is saying across the radio.

Stevie: . . .but from where I'm sitting it looks like clear skies. I think the weatherman has been working too hard.

Ryan flicks the radio off.

Ryan: Now why do you think that is?

Bennett: What are you talking about?

Ryan: Didn't you hear her? She said rain tonight, but I just heard on the weather channel that there's supposed to be a fog bank coming in.

Bennett: You're still not making sense.

Ryan: (aggravated) Fog and rain don't mix, Ben.

Bennett: So? What's that got to do-

            Suddenly, the street light begins flickering. In the distance, there is the blaring sound of car horns all going off at once. The headlights of the Datsun flash on and something seems to pop and explode under the hood. Bennett and Ryan are both scared and run off into the dark.

That's it. Thanks for reading!