Can He Hear Me? - Near's friend

"Near?"

He blinked at looked up from his jigsaw puzzle.

He saw a girl with an emotionless gaze. She had dark brown hair that fell til her waist and matching emotionless gray eyes. She always wears a black long sleeve shirt with matching black pants.

"What is it, Pierce?"

"Mr. Watari requests for your presence at his office, Near."

He got up quickly, taking an action figure in his hand. Pierce waited for him to leave first before closing the door and leading the way.

~~

Pierce finished her little task. She walked back to her room, away from the boys. She was the only girl in the Wammy House. She wasn't the smartest either. But she didn't care. She just kept a shell around her, not wanting anyone to know her. It was better this way.

She picked up her trumpet. She put her mouth into the mouthpiece and begin to play 'Planet Suite - Jupiter - Holst'.

She loved that feeling. She loved that warm feeling when the music -- her music -- surrounds her. She pressed the values, enjoying the feeling once again.

When she finished playing, she smiled.

"So you do actually smile." A quiet voice made her look up.

At the doorway, was Near.

~~

"What are you doing here?" She quickly recovered from her shock. Partly because she's used to it.

"Planet Suite, Jupiter by Holst? Good choice." He quietly said.

I made a small grunt and put down my trumpet next to the piano.

"You play the piano too?" His eyebrow rose a little.

"I play the trombone and violin too." I said, turning emotionless again.

"So you're a music prodigy..." He glanced around the room before fully stepping in to examine.

He then begin inspecting the music scores, pulling some out.

"Don't touch that." She coldly said, striding towards him to take then out of his hands.

He gave them to her and went to open her violin case.

"How do you use this..." He muttered as he held the violin like a cello.

She resisted to urge to face-palm and took the violin from him after setting the scores down next to the trumpet.

She then took the bow.

"This is how you play a violin, Near."

She played.

She played 'Violin Concerto No. 4 in D major'.

Melodious notes filled the air as Pierce played some more. She moved her bow expertly, her fingers rubbing against the strings swiftly.

Near closed his eyes. It was a nice piece anyway. 

'I prefer to be alone.'

Near found that thought in her music.

'Yet I want someone who can understand me.'

'I am lonely in this world.'

~~

"Music can express the player's thoughts and feelings." Pierce stated as she licked her ice-cream.

Near agreed with her, briefly returning to that they in Piecre's room. They understood each other. They became friends.

"You know, since we're 18 this year, I'll tell you my real name." Pierce suddenlys says.

Near looked at her in surprise. She's finally saying it? Really. And he told his many years ago.

She smiled.

"I'm Karen Black."

~~

Karen squatted behind Nate.

"Is that soliders? May I join you?"

"If you would play me a piece on the trombone."

Karen sighed.

"Fine. But you better let me win."

~~

Nate has been busy these days.

Like her.

She managed to become a composer, so she spends hours in her room at Wammy House, testing out with the instruments she has. She is also a part-time teacher as well.

She's missing Nate however.

Karen sighed. Thinking about Nate wouldn't make him teleport back or something.

"Karen."

She whirled around, coming face to face with Nate. A smiled blossomed on her face. Nate's back!

Her smile, her true smile, was very beautiful. It's nice to know that's she happy.

Nate smiled back.

~~