Chapter 1: Seeing Her

I look in the mirror at my tan reflection, my usually wavy brown hair straightened and hanging down just barely above my shoulders. You can do this, I think as I give myself the up and down. It's just high school. Everyone is just as nervous as you are. It will be okay.

I close my eyes and continue my pep talk in my head as I picture walking into those doors for my first day.

I pick up my cracked cellphone and check Facebook, reading the posts: "First Day you guys!" "I can't believe we're in high school already." "Have a good first day everyone! " I click off my phone as soon as my mom walks in.

"Ready for your first day of high school?" she sings, which doesn't help the butterflies. "Um, yeah I guess. Can we just go?"

As we pull up to the school, my heart sinks and my stomach flops. High school is so much bigger than I would have ever imagined. A two story building looms over me as I look through the dirty windshield.

Let me backtrack for a second. I came from a little country school. Not some normal middle school where you only have seventh and eighth grade and they switch classes the same way they do in high school. No, I came from a school where the classes are K-8th and everybody knows everybody. We were crammed in with little kids and we only had one class for each grade just like in elementary school where there were only 20 kids at a time. My class and I grew up together so we were like family. I didn't know many people like the kids from the normal middle schools did so I knew I would be forced to make friends. In my eighth grade year I had short, charcoal black dyed hair, a lip piercing, and I weighed the amount of a pig-me hippo. Over the summer I spent the hours slaving over a treadmill, consuming my weight in water, growing my hair out with its natural brown color, and watching makeup tutorials on YouTube so I could look the part of a Freshman girl at Northbreak High.

I click the unlock button and force myself slowly out of the car, ignoring my moms muffled attempts to reassure a good day. I wave at her and hear my name over the chatter of the upperclassmen, "Laney, over here!" I turn around and see two of my best friends, Kaia who's perfectly highlighted hair rests on her shoulders, outlining her perfect jaw while her piercing blue eyes glare through her thick dark makeup. She's striking and obviously the prettiest of the 4 of us but she could be so much more if she would just smile once and awhile. Standing next to her is Rider, the one calling my name, her beautifully straightened hair down to her chunky waist and her makeup applied like a professional. I would expect that considering her mom is a cosmetologist.

I do an awkward walk-run up to meet them, being the ungraceful person that I am and stop in a way that closes a triangle between the three of us. I look around noticing the 4th musketeer isn't here and ask, "Where's Grace?" Kaia rolls her eyes, "Not here yet." "I figured." I love all three of my best friends but I have been the closest to Grace since seventh grade and I consider her my sister.

Soon after our conversation, I spot Grace descending from her moms overly large dull blue van and making her way to our triangle. She is tall with large doe eyed eyes that take up most of her face. She has always reminded me of a deer the way she walks in such a petite way with her shoulder length dark hair and sunset blonde tips blowing in the wind.

"It's about time you got here," Rider complains, "it's about to start!" "I'm sorry!"

We look around at all the students in the parking lot, conversing about how many cute guys there are, tallying them up to a total waiting for the day to start.

The bell rings and it's time for us to go to the auditorium. The four of us sit close together, while the principle introduces all the deans and counselors, telling us which ones we have by the alpha order of our last names. As soon as all the assistant principles speak and give us the rules which clearly no one is paying attention to, it's time for our first period. The principle excuses us and I rush through the crowd of kids, squeezing through people and bumping them out of my way, scoping the area for people I could potentially become friends with. I scurry to my first class, getting lost on the way and having to ask a nearby teacher for directions. Finally I see the number on the plaque above the door of my first period class. 260 Geometry. I take a deep breath and pray that I have at least one friend in there. I walk in and sit in the first seat I find, a blonde girl and a red head sitting in the seats behind me, giggling. Great. They're laughing at me. I stare at the door hoping that someone, anyone I know, would walk in and sit next to me but stranger after stranger pile in until the class is almost full. I've almost given up hope until the most beautiful girl I've ever seen walks into the room. She walks with finesse and stride. Her brown highlighted hair is pulled up into a thick messy bun with a braid wrapped around the hair tie and her baby blue eyes search the room for a place to sit. I stare at her, slightly smiling, partly because she's striking and partly because I want her sitting next to me. She smiles at me, flashing her braces, straight teeth behind them, and starts heading my way. My smile gets wider as she approaches and I pull the seat out next to me for her. "Hi I'm-" She walks past me, not even looking my direction and she sits at the table across from the blonde girl. I turn around and look at the blonde, her and the ginger girl are pointing and laughing at me. I face forward and slowly push the chair back in as my heart sinks lower and lower. Ouch.

---------------------------------------------- This is my first part of my first story on Wattpad and I just want to see if anybody will like it. ----------------------------------------------