Chapter 5

This chapter is dedicated to rievns for being my first legitimate fan! Yay!

I know before I said I wouldn't upload until I got votes and comments, but you lucked out and I got inspiration. (Also I'm impatient)

Anyway Read On!

***

“And to celebrate the life of Richard Maxwell Bratcher…” The man droned on. We sat on the pews of the old church we never went to on a street we never visited. We weren’t and aren’t a religious family, so us stepping foot in a church is a rare occasion.

                The funeral had been a small turn out, only ten or fifteen people came, my mom, my grandma, Callie, Anna, one or two of Ricky’s stoner friends, Anna’s parents, and a few kids from school. I didn’t really know who was there and those who spoke to me, their voices were recognizable enough.

                “…The great achievements he made…” I could hear my mother sobbing along with my grandma. Anna was wailing. Even though Ricky ditched her to get high all the time, they still did love each other dearly and she was taking it horribly. Beside me Callie sniffed. She never cried, but this was an exception. Ricky had been like her brother too, teaching her how to ride a bike without training wheels when her parents were out of town on business trips and left her with a nanny.

                “Callie?” I placed a hand on her shoulder, lucky enough.

                “What? I’m fine.” She stated, though her voice was shaky, although her tone said ‘leave it alone, Alex’.

                After the reception, everyone went home, with the exception of myself, Mom, Callie, and Anna. We were going to the shore, where Ricky had always loved. I was so calm and always had a sort of ‘sea-ish’ smell Ricky was always talking about. He took me here when Dad died and held my hand. He told me he’d always take care of me.

                Mom started to sing softly, some indiscernible tune, as I held her take the top off the urn that held Ricky’s ashes. Callie and Anna slowly joined in, their watery voices shaking and gliding like the soft waves at our feet. I could hear the ashes slipping from the urn, in that sort of ‘whoosh’ noise you here when you dump something dry out of a bucket or something. When the song was over, Mom replaced the lid, walking to the car. Only once she was gone, did a tear leave my eyes.

                Callie took my elbow to lead me back, but Anna spoke up.

                “Callie, could I *sniff* t-talk to Alex f-for a second?” Callie let go, silently making her way to the car.

“You look so handsome, Alex, just like your brother. He was such a great person, despite the drugs. I know you’re gonna miss him Alex. I will too. We’ll be there for each other though, right?” He didn’t wait for my reply. “I wanted to tell you first. I-I’m… Alex I’m pregnant. And I am so scared.” he took my hand.

“You are so brave. So strong. I truly, truly admire that. I hope you aren’t mad at me. I always have loved you like a brother Alex.” She took my hand.

“I don’t see why I’d be mad. You guys were in love. I know saying that won’t help or bring him back but, yeah, I’ll be here for you. So will my mom and Callie.” I smiled, it hurt, but I managed.

“Thank you so much Alex!” She burst into tears again, pulling me back to the car, my hand still in hers.

***

Short sorry, but now it's getting somewhere *Yay!*

ANYWAY: COMMENT VOTE *PLEASE?*