Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I couldn’t sleep because there was a shadow outside the house.

I couldn’t scream for help because it was three in the morning – or so, my clock said.

I couldn’t run out of the house, because I was too afraid of who would be waiting.

I couldn’t call anyone because my phone was off and I was too scared to move from my spot at the window.

I was absolutely positive the guy who’d hovered by the window was Vince. I’d only seen the shadow reflected onto the wall, but it was enough to tell that the man in the red cap had come back.

I was rooted to the spot on the sofa. I wouldn’t able to run if I tried. I stared at the floor, trying to compose myself. What was I going to do if he came in?

Go out, then.

I wanted to stand up, but sound of rustling leaves had me glued to the sofa.

It had to be Vince.

Well, there’s only one way to find out.

I froze on the sofa at a second sound. I was sure the rustling leaves had been outside the first time, but the second time…?

It came again, with the sound of a door softly clicking shut.

Completely paralysed in fear, the only consolation I had were the whirring thoughts in my head, and that annoying voice that I swear had verbal diarrhoea.

There was a sound so soft I wasn’t sure I’d actually heard it… if I had, it had definitely been a footstep.

Seriously, Lea, you’ve got to move.

But I couldn’t. I could only look down at my hands, frozen in fists.

Talk about great timing – you’ve chosen the perfect moment to go have a panic attack!

From the corner of my peripheral vision, a shadow fell onto the floor, approaching the door…

That’s when my breathing stopped…

Lea, you’re being ridiculous. Get up!

It was like there was a plug in my throat, stopping all the air—

Understatement – it’s like there’s a freaking boulder in there!

—and the worst part was, I was completely still as a statue on the outside.

Then he stepped into the room. His tall, broad figure blocked out the little light from the doorway, and he approached…

And I still wasn’t able to breathe. A wave of nausea overcame me.

He carried the smell of spirit with him. A waft of the stuff floated past my nose.

Why wasn’t I able to move?

God, Lea, your heart’s doing more moving than you are right now! DO something!

But I couldn’t. I was completely paralysed.

I heard the pop of a bottle lid, the strike of a match. There was a burst of flame and my vision shattered as he splashed the spirit in my direction.

The burning started.

*

Then I woke up. Really woke up.